- 1 (Cookery) grated cheesequeso (masculine) ralladoExample sentences
- I spent the evening cooking the meat, heating the refried beans, grating cheese, shredding lettuce, chopping vegetables and frying the tortillas.
- Depending on age and skill level, many children can grate cheese, shred lettuce, mix batter, and more.
- Place all dried fruits, grated apple, mixed peel, cherries, rinds and juices into a large mixing bowl and pour over the brandy/rum and essences.
- 1 (irritate)ser crispanteto grate
onsomethinghis voice grates on the earsu voz hace daño al oídohis laugh really grates on my nervessu risa me crispa los nerviosExample sentences
- However annoying it was and however much it grated on her nerves, something in the back of her mind told her to leave it as it was.
- As ever, his arrogance and ignorance grated on everyone who cannot abide him, and left those who adore him in raptures.
- It grated on him when his advice was not heeded, more so because it often turned out that he had been more right than wrong.
- 2 (make harsh noise) the chalk grated against the blackboardla tiza chirrió en la pizarraExample sentences
- The sound of stone grating on stone echoed in her ears as two more openings appeared on the wall she was running toward, and sand started pouring out of them.
- Jake chuckled, it sounded like nails grating on a chalk board as he hopped up onto the stained mattress above Asia's head.
- As the sound grated through my fluffy pillows, I sighed heavily, and debated whether I should bother getting up for school.
- 1 (fireplace)Example sentences
- We were met by Bob's wife and welcomed as though we had got there on time. There was a lovely coal fire burning in the grate, which had been kept ‘banked up’ all day pending our arrival.
- When everyone seemed to be looking the other way, Mr Wright slipped into another room and took off his outfit, and then he quietly returned to the fireside where only a very small fire burned in the grate and sat down.
- Some people may opt for electric or gas heaters, instant warmth, but nothing beats the smell and atmosphere of logs burning in the grate, on the barbeque or on a camp fire somewhere.
- 2 (metal frame)Example sentences
- He progressed gingerly towards the gauze grate in the grimy iron girdered floor and was careful not to get too close as he peered into the gloom below.
- The windows to the building are covered with mesh grates, the doors locked.
- Half-way through rolling it, something peculiar revealed itself: a metal grate in the floor.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.