- 1 (Cookery) grated cheesequeso (masculine) ralladoExample sentences
- I spent the evening cooking the meat, heating the refried beans, grating cheese, shredding lettuce, chopping vegetables and frying the tortillas.
- Depending on age and skill level, many children can grate cheese, shred lettuce, mix batter, and more.
- Place all dried fruits, grated apple, mixed peel, cherries, rinds and juices into a large mixing bowl and pour over the brandy/rum and essences.
- 1.1 (irritate)ser crispanteto grate
onsomethinghis voice grates on the earsu voz hace daño al oídohis laugh really grates on my nervessu risa me crispa los nervios1.2 (make harsh noise) the chalk grated against the blackboardla tiza chirrió en la pizarraExample sentences
- The sound of stone grating on stone echoed in her ears as two more openings appeared on the wall she was running toward, and sand started pouring out of them.
- Jake chuckled, it sounded like nails grating on a chalk board as he hopped up onto the stained mattress above Asia's head.
- As the sound grated through my fluffy pillows, I sighed heavily, and debated whether I should bother getting up for school.
- However annoying it was and however much it grated on her nerves, something in the back of her mind told her to leave it as it was.
- As ever, his arrogance and ignorance grated on everyone who cannot abide him, and left those who adore him in raptures.
- It grated on him when his advice was not heeded, more so because it often turned out that he had been more right than wrong.
- 1.1 (fireplace)Example sentences1.2 (metal frame)
- We were met by Bob's wife and welcomed as though we had got there on time. There was a lovely coal fire burning in the grate, which had been kept ‘banked up’ all day pending our arrival.
- When everyone seemed to be looking the other way, Mr Wright slipped into another room and took off his outfit, and then he quietly returned to the fireside where only a very small fire burned in the grate and sat down.
- Some people may opt for electric or gas heaters, instant warmth, but nothing beats the smell and atmosphere of logs burning in the grate, on the barbeque or on a camp fire somewhere.
- He progressed gingerly towards the gauze grate in the grimy iron girdered floor and was careful not to get too close as he peered into the gloom below.
- The windows to the building are covered with mesh grates, the doors locked.
- Half-way through rolling it, something peculiar revealed itself: a metal grate in the floor.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.