Translation of grotesque in Spanish:
- 1.1(creature/deformity/appearance)it seems to us grotesque that …
grotesconos parece atroz que …a grotesque distortion of the truthuna burda tergiversación de la verdadExample sentences1.2 (Art)
- Poverty is ugly and the most grotesque form of slavery.
- The one true romance has had its legs cut out from under it; we are left with the ugly, grotesque caricature of lust that drives these two to their ultimate doom.
- Even the tots wore their costumes and enjoyed the fun, peering through their grotesque masks, and frightening their elders.
- 1 (Art) (style) the grotesqueel grotescoExample sentences
- His writing - poetry, drama, and opinions - is a curious blend of disciplined classicism and carnival grotesque.
- The adaptation of this decorative style came to be known as grotesque, based on the word grotto.
- 2 (person) [literary]personaje (masculine) grotesco
esperpento (masculine)Example sentences
- The 18th-century singeries go back to Jean Bérain, who first hit on the idea c. 1695 of replacing the classical fauns and statues of Renaissance grotesques by figures of monkeys.
- The former is seen in the rectilinear and symmetrical designs, including some carvings and moldings that are formed with characteristic regence strapwork, grotesques, and classical motifs from antiquity.
- The Baroque introduced grotesques along with the heavy ball dangling from the central shaft, anchoring detachable rows of arms that allowed the hanging fixture to mutate vertically.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.