Translation of guide in Spanish:
- 1 (person) 1.1 (directing tourists) guía (masculine and feminine) 1.2 (adviser) consejero, (masculine, feminine) I let my daughter be my guide me dejo guiar por mi hijaExample sentences
- So the Evangelical pastors often served as counselors, spiritual guides and confidantes.
- She said their knowledge comes from the ‘Dreamtime’, their spiritual guide which teaches them how to hunt, the different skills they need and where to get food.
- The former includes meditations on the precious human existence, impermanence, the defects of sasra, the workings of karma and the need for a spiritual guide or guru.
- 2(Guide)(British English/inglés británico) exploradora (feminine), guía (feminine)
- 3 (publication) guía (feminine) a guide to New York una guía de Nueva York a guide to healthy living cómo llevar una vida sanaExample sentences
- Why do professional mountain guides always look lean, cut, and as if they could jog to the summit without breaking a sweat?
- Sunil and Mohanto had worked as professional river and mountain guides at Rishikesh.
- Fat-tired planes buzz the nearby airport, taking climbers, guides, and gear to mountain base camps.
- Solicitors recognise that many buyers are baffled by a lack of clear and comprehensive information and guides to talk them through the procedure.
- She equipped herself with a little optimism, phrase books and travel guides, and clothes contained for overhead storage space.
- Dictionaries range from language guides to handbooks of information arranged alphabetically on a range of topics.
- 4 (indicator) guía (feminine) to use o take sth as a guide guiarse* por algo you can use the sun as a rough guide to your position te puedes guiar por el sol para tener una idea de dónde estás I use the colors as a guide los colores me sirven de guía these figures are a good guide to profitability estas cifras dan una buena idea de la rentabilidadExample sentences
- I recognise that Letters to the Editor are not necessarily an infallible guide to public opinion.
- Like sonata form it is not a rigid formula, and therefore the scheme illustrated can be taken as only a rough guide to its general features.
- Third, we may interpret choice theory as an exploration of what it means to be rational and, possibly, as a guide to making sensible decisions, rather than as a description of how people act in practice.
- 5 (groove, rail) riel (masculine), guía (feminine)Example sentences
- Find a large, clean surface with room to lay out a rag, your tools and the removed wheels and bolts, axle guides, and heel brake where they'll stay put and in sight.
- The wire guide directs the paper into a drive roller and idler set which pulls the paper from the printer and drives the paper downward so that it drops at about the center of the stack.
- On the other hand, black wet glazed plug is caused by the burned oil leaking past the piston rings or valve guides as well as burning in the cylinder.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1.1 [tourist/stranger] guiar* we were guided to the top nos guiaron or condujeron hasta la cima a priest guided them round the cathedral un sacerdote les hizo de guía en la catedral, un sacerdote les mostró or (Spain/España) les enseñó la catedral 1.2 (help, advise) guiar*, aconsejar, orientar be guided by your instinct déjate guiar por el instinto 1.3 (steer, manipulate) (+ adverb complement/+ adverbio predicativo) guide the rope through the steel rings pase la cuerda por los aros de acero the captain guided the ship between the rocks el capitán condujo or guió el barco por entre las rocas he guided the conversation away from personal matters desvió la conversación apartándola de lo personal he guided the nation through the crisis el país superó la crisis bajo su conducción 1.4(guiding present participle/participio presente)they need a guiding hand necesitan una mano que los guíe under the guiding hand of her father de la mano de su padre guiding light norte (masculine) guiding principle principio (masculine) rector
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
The Premios Goya del cine español is the Spanish equivalent of Oscars, awarded in January every year by the AACC (Academia de las Artes y las Ciencias Cinematográficas de España). The winners receive a bust of the painter Goya.