- 1 1.1 (for executions) guillotina (feminine) he was sentenced to the guillotine lo condenaron a la guillotinaMore example sentences1.2 (for cutting paper) guillotina (feminine)
More example sentences
- The king was beheaded on the guillotine on January 21, 1793.
- Despite his every effort to persuade his judges of his innocence and that all he was doing was giving spiritual help to those in need he was condemned to death by beheading at the guillotine.
- Brainwashed disciples play with eyelashes, file fingernails and draw intricate pictures of men beheaded on bloody guillotines.
- But witnesses said Banovi had been placing a wad of paper under the guillotine in preparation for cutting and a colleague apparently activated the blade before Banovi's hand was out the way.
- Harry made British medical history in 1999 by becoming the first eight-finger replant after his hands were caught in a hydraulic paper guillotine.
- When a large number of bricks must be cut, you might want to rent an electric power saw adapted with a masonry blade or a manual cutting machine called a guillotine.
- 2 (British English/inglés británico) [Politics/Política] [ límite de tiempo que se impone a la etapa de debate de un proyecto de ley ]More example sentences
- The Government is resorting to the excessive use of parliamentary guillotines to quickly push through controversial legislation, according to Labour chief whip Emmet Stagg.
- Can we expect the use of the guillotine in parliamentary debates to be abandoned by this government allowing those debates as much time as they need?
- The fact that government used the guillotine during the committee stage certainly did not contribute to any intelligent cross-bench discussion.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1 [person/paper] guillotinar
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Did you know that the primary meaning of almuerzo is lunch? It is used only in this sense in most of Latin America. In Spain and Mexico, where comida is the usual word for lunch, almuerzo can also be a mid-morning snack.