- 1 1.1 countable/numerable (usual piece of behavior) costumbre (feminine), hábito (masculine); (bad) vicio (masculine), mala costumbre (feminine), mal hábito (masculine) to have revolting habits tener* muy malos modales eating habits hábitos alimenticios as was her habit como tenía por costumbre to fall into bad habits adquirir* malas costumbres to break o cure a habit perder* or quitarse una (mala) costumbre his habit of always interrupting su (mala) costumbre de interrumpir todo el tiempo to be in the habit of
-ingacostumbrar + infinitive/infinitivo, tener* por costumbre + infinitive/infinitivoto make a habit of -ingadoptar la costumbre de + infinitive/infinitivodon't make a habit of it que no se repita to have a habit of -ingtener* la manía de + infinitive/infinitivoto get sb into the habit of -ingacostumbrar a algn a+ infinitive/infinitivoto get oneself into the habit of -ingacostumbrarse a + infinitive/infinitivoto get sb/oneself out of the habit of -ingquitarle a algn/quitarse la costumbre de + infinitive/infinitivoMore example sentences1.2 uncountable/no numerable (customary behavior) costumbre (feminine) force of habit fuerza (feminine) de la costumbre out of sheer habit por pura costumbre 1.3 uncountable/no numerable (dependence on nicotine, drugs) the habit [colloquial/familiar] el vicio to break o kick the habit dejar el vicio he now has a $100-a-day habit ahora el vicio le cuesta 100 dólares diarios to be off the habit (American English/inglés norteamericano) [colloquial/familiar] haber* dejado la droga
- Jen's got a bad habit of working too hard on something though.
- I know it's a bad habit, eating sweets in he morning, but strawberry shortcake is my favorite food.
- I have a bad habit of voicing my own true opinions.
- 2 countable/numerable [Clothing/Indumentaria] hábito (masculine) a monk's/nun's habit un hábito de monje/monjaMore example sentences
More example sentences
- Because I wore the habit of a religious order he saw me as a sort of expert, one who could get results.
- Standing on a parapet of fictive marble, dressed in the brown habit of his order, St Francis gazes intently at a wooden crucifix held between his crossed hands.
- In his last decade in Rome he lived in a home run by the Blue Nuns, an Irish order so called because of the color of their habit.
More example sentences
- They had already done their tests but were still in their dressage habit.
- Because of the necessary fabrics to make habits hang correctly, I usually charge between $400-975 to create one.
- The old lady's habit, formed of stiff brocade, gives her the appearance of a squat pyramid, with a grotesque head at the top of it.
- The series in fact comprises only two: one in the form of a monk's habit and cowl, and one depicting a pin-striped business suit and tie.
- They were clothed in the Dominican habit at a special Mass in the church which was attended by their family and friends.
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Junta Autonómica is the name given to the governments of Spain's autonomous regions, with the exception of Catalonia and Valencia's Generalitat and Galicia's Xunta.