Translation of habit in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 countable (usual piece of behavior)(bad) vicio (masculine)to have revolting habits
mala costumbre (feminine)
mal hábito (masculine)tener muy malos modaleseating habitshábitos alimenticiosas was her habitcomo tenía por costumbreto fall into bad habitsadquirir malas costumbresto break o cure a habitperder or quitarse una (mala) costumbrehis habit of always interruptingsu (mala) costumbre de interrumpir todo el tiempoto be in the habit of
-ingacostumbrar +to make a habit of infinitive
tener por costumbre +
infinitive -ingadoptar la costumbre de +don't make a habit of it infinitiveque no se repitato have a habit of -ingtener la manía de +to get somebody into the habit of infinitive -ingacostumbrar a alguiento get oneself into the habit of a+ infinitive -ingacostumbrarse a +to get somebody/oneself out of the habit of infinitive -ingquitarle a alguien/quitarse la costumbre de + infinitiveExample sentences1.2 uncountable (customary behavior) force of habit
fuerza (feminine) de la costumbreout of sheer habitpor pura costumbre1.3 uncountable (dependence on nicotine, drugs) the habit [colloquial]el vicioto break o kick the habitdejar el viciohe now has a $100-a-day habitahora el vicio le cuesta 100 dólares diariosto be off the habit (American English) [colloquial]haber dejado la droga
- Jen's got a bad habit of working too hard on something though.
- I know it's a bad habit, eating sweets in he morning, but strawberry shortcake is my favorite food.
- I have a bad habit of voicing my own true opinions.
- 2 countable (Clothing) a monk's/nun's habitun hábito de monje/monjaExample sentences
- Because I wore the habit of a religious order he saw me as a sort of expert, one who could get results.
- Standing on a parapet of fictive marble, dressed in the brown habit of his order, St Francis gazes intently at a wooden crucifix held between his crossed hands.
- In his last decade in Rome he lived in a home run by the Blue Nuns, an Irish order so called because of the color of their habit.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.