Translation of hair in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable (on human head) to have short/brown haira girl with long hairtener el pelo corto/castañoa good head of hairuna chica de pelo largoto have o get one's hair cutuna buena cabellerauna buena mata de peloget your hair cutcortarse el peloto do one's hairve a cortarte or a que te corten el peloto have one's hair donearreglarse el pelopeinarsewho does your hair?peinarse(en la peluquería)to lose one's hair¿a qué peluquería vas?he's losing his hairperder el pelohis hair is getting very thinestá perdiendo el peloto have o wear one's hair down/upse está quedando calvoto get in somebody's hair [colloquial]llevar el pelo suelto/recogidoto get/keep out of somebody's hair [colloquial]take the kids and get them out of my hair for a whilemolestar a alguienI wish he'd keep out of my hairllévate a los niños y así me los quitas de encima un ratokeep your hair on! (British English) [colloquial]¿por qué no me dejará en paz?to let one's hair down¡no te sulfures! [colloquial](lit)go on, let your hair down, and come out for a drink!soltarse el peloto make somebody's hair curl [colloquial]¡vamos, suéltate la melena y vente a tomar una copa!to make somebody's hair stand on end [colloquial]ponerle los pelos de punta a alguien [colloquial]to tear one's hair (out) [colloquial]ponerle los pelos de punta a alguien [colloquial]subirse por las paredes [colloquial](before noun) (gel/lacquer/oil)I have a hair appointmentpara el pelohair creamtengo hora en la peluqueríahair curler hair restorercrema (feminine) para el pelohair transplantloción (feminine) para la calvicietransplante (masculine) capilarExample sentences
- Jessica is tanned and has shoulder-length brown hair while Holly is fair and has blonde hair.
- The second man was white, between 40 to 45 years old, with grey shoulder length hair and a beard.
- Her shoulder length hair had grown down to her back and gone from straight to curly.
- 2 uncountable 2.1 (on human body) a cream to remove unwanted hair(before noun) hair remover 2.2 (on animal, plant)una crema para eliminar el vello superfluoExample sentences
- The oils are rapidly absorbed through skin although the hair on animal skin makes it difficult to apply them.
- A thick white coat of hollow hairs provides good insulation from the arctic climate.
- There was a man at the bus stop with a mole this morning - the kind of mole that grows thick black hairs.
- The cuticular hairs formed by epidermal cells are not the only examples of cellular projections found in Drosophila.
- Plastid morphogenesis in trichome hair cells from the stem and petiole of tomato plants.
- The leaf surfaces of almost all plant species possess specialized epidermal cell types that form hairs or trichomes.
- 3 countable (single strand) he arrived with not a hair out of placea o the hair of the dog (that bit you)feeling hung over? try a hair of the dogllegó impecablenot to harm a hair of somebody's head¿que tienes resaca? pues tómate otra que así se curaif you harm a hair of her head, I'll kill youno tocarle un pelo a alguiennot to turn a haircomo le toques un pelo, te matoto put hairs on somebody's chest [colloquial] [humorous]no inmutarsequedarse como si nada or como si tal [colloquial]go on, drink it; it'll put hairs on your chestdejar a alguien como nuevo [colloquial]to split hairsanda, bébetelo; verás como te sientes como nuevo [colloquial]see also → hair's breadthbuscarle tres or cinco pies al gatohilar demasiado fino
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
A portero is a superintendent in an apartment building who looks after it, keeps it clean, delivers mail, and keeps an eye on comings and goings. Porteros often have an apartment in the building as part of their pay. The portero, and particularly the female portera, are part of popular culture. They have a reputation for being inquisitive and fond of gossip.