Translation of half in Spanish:
noun plural halves
- 1 1.1 (part) half of the sugarla mitad del azúcarthe upper half of the bodyla parte superior del cuerpoto break/divide something in halfromper/dividir algo por la mitad or en dosit's interesting to see how the other half liveses interesante ver cómo viven los demásto do things by halves [colloquial]hacer las cosas a mediasto go halves [colloquial] we go halves on the rentpagamos el alquiler a mediastoo … by half (British) [colloquial]she's too clever by halfse pasa de lista [colloquial]Example sentences1.2 (Mathematics) 1.3 (elliptical use) an hour and a half
una hora y mediaI wear a 37 and a halfcalzo (un) 37 y medioyou get time and a half on Sundayste pagan el 50% más los domingosit's half past tenson las diez y mediathe train leaves at half pastel tren sale a y mediathe half-past trainel tren de las y media… and a half! [colloquial]that was a party and a half!¡eso sí que fue una fiesta!that's a dog and a half!¡menudo perrazo! [colloquial]
- Slice the roll in half the short way, then slice the halves in half.
- Cut a starfish in half and both halves can recover to produce two starfish.
- Try a biscuit crust, tortillas, flatbread such as pita, bun halves or a baguette cut in half lengthwise as bases for pizza toppings.
- 2 (Sport) 2.1 (period) the first/second halfel primer/segundo tiempoExample sentences2.2 (of pitch) 2.3 (US) (interval)
- The visitors side upped their game in the second half when they had got used to the playing surface.
- That was a rare moment of danger for Sweden, who dominated possession but only seriously looked like scoring in the closing periods of both halves.
- He later said the first half was his greatest performance as a pro, and no one who saw it could argue.
- 3 (of beer) (British) [colloquial]media pinta (feminine) (de cerveza)Example sentences
- Seriously, get her to drink a half of stout a day as a basis for any magick she does.
- Two airline stewardesses were sacked for drinking a half of lager each before a flight.
- Usually we'd have a half of beer, but on this occasion someone suggested a glass of sherry, because it dried you out.
- la mitadI only want halfsolo quiero la mitadhalf of that money is minela mitad de ese dinero es míathe half of it [colloquial]you haven't heard the half of ity eso no es nadaExample sentences
- When continuing a character, pull out attack cards equal to half your STR.
- Use a complete suit for each player and a number of Jokers equal to about half the players.
- That may sound strange for a country which faced the prospect of a nuclear holocaust for almost half a century.
- he won half a million poundsganó medio millón de librashalf a pint of milkmedia pinta de lecheone and a half hoursuna hora y mediahalf the school knows about it alreadyya lo sabe medio colegiohalf the amount has been raised alreadyya hemos recaudado la mitad del dinerohalf my salary goes on the mortgagela mitad del sueldo se me va en la hipotecahe's half her ageella le dobla la edadthe planning is half the funlos preparativos son casi tan divertidos como la fiesta ( or el viaje etc. ) en síshe isn't half the player/singer she used to be [colloquial]no es ni con mucho la jugadora/cantante que erano es ni sombra de lo que era [colloquial]the shirt had half sleevesla camisa era de manga cortashe managed a half smileapenas logró esbozar una sonrisato have a half share in somethingtener la mitad de algoExample sentences
- Nowadays he is on first-name terms with at least half of his audience.
- I imagine at least half the audience was completely off its gourd so God knows what he was doing to the collective psyche.
- The emcee is desperate to get us to stay, but half the audience gets up to leave anyway.
- the meat is half cookedla carne está medio cruda or a medio cocerthe work is only half doneel trabajo está a medio hacershe was half asleepestaba medio dormida or semidormidathe door was half closedla puerta estaba entreabiertaI half expected to find him hereen cierto modo esperaba encontrármelo aquíI was only half listeningno estaba prestando mucha atenciónshe said it half jokinglylo dijo medio en bromahalf walking, half runningmedio caminando, medio corriendohalf man, half horsemitad hombre, mitad caballoshe is half Italian, half Greekes hija de italianos y griegosthey are paid half as much as we areles pagan la mitad que a nosotrosthat will cost you half as much againle costará un 50% másthe movie isn't half as good as the book [colloquial]la película no es ni la mitad de buena que el libronot half (British) [colloquial] (as intensifier) he isn't half cleveres inteligentísimodo you like it? — not half!¿te gusta? — no me gusta, me encantait isn't half cold todayhoy hace un frío de los demonios [colloquial]Example sentences
- In fact, I'm half inclined to start asking for Italy, just to see if I can do it!
- A lot of money went into it when the pond was repaired and residents believe it should look half decent.
- She jumped back slightly against the window half afraid of what he was going to say.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.