Translation of half in Spanish:
noun plural halves
- 1 1.1 (part) half of the sugarthe upper half of the bodyla mitad del azúcarto break/divide something in halfla parte superior del cuerpoit's interesting to see how the other half livesromper/dividir algo por la mitad or en dosto do things by halves [colloquial]es interesante ver cómo viven los demásto go halves [colloquial] we go halves on the renthacer las cosas a mediastoo … by half (British English) [colloquial]she's too clever by halfpagamos el alquiler a medias1.2 (Mathematics) 1.3 (elliptical use) See examples: an hour and a halfse pasa de lista [colloquial]I wear a 37 and a halfuna hora y mediayou get time and a half on Sundayscalzo (un) 37 y medioit's half past tente pagan el 50% más los domingosthe train leaves at half pastson las diez y mediathe half-past trainel tren sale a y media… and a half! [colloquial]that was a party and a half!el tren de las y mediathat's a dog and a half!¡eso sí que fue una fiesta!¡menudo perrazo! [colloquial]
- 2 (Sport) 2.1 (period) the first/second half2.2 (of pitch)el primer/segundo tiempoExample sentences2.3 (American English) (interval)
- Slice the roll in half the short way, then slice the halves in half.
- Cut a starfish in half and both halves can recover to produce two starfish.
- Try a biscuit crust, tortillas, flatbread such as pita, bun halves or a baguette cut in half lengthwise as bases for pizza toppings.
- The visitors side upped their game in the second half when they had got used to the playing surface.
- That was a rare moment of danger for Sweden, who dominated possession but only seriously looked like scoring in the closing periods of both halves.
- He later said the first half was his greatest performance as a pro, and no one who saw it could argue.
- 3 (of beer)(British English) [colloquial]media pinta (feminine)(de cerveza)Example sentences
- Seriously, get her to drink a half of stout a day as a basis for any magick she does.
- Two airline stewardesses were sacked for drinking a half of lager each before a flight.
- Usually we'd have a half of beer, but on this occasion someone suggested a glass of sherry, because it dried you out.
- I only want halfla mitadhalf of that money is minesolo quiero la mitadthe half of it [colloquial]you haven't heard the half of itla mitad de ese dinero es míay eso no es nadaExample sentences
- When continuing a character, pull out attack cards equal to half your STR.
- Use a complete suit for each player and a number of Jokers equal to about half the players.
- That may sound strange for a country which faced the prospect of a nuclear holocaust for almost half a century.
- he won half a million poundsmedio, (-dia)half a pint of milkganó medio millón de librasone and a half hoursmedia pinta de lechehalf the school knows about it alreadyuna hora y mediahalf the amount has been raised alreadyya lo sabe medio colegiohalf my salary goes on the mortgageya hemos recaudado la mitad del dinerohe's half her agela mitad del sueldo se me va en la hipotecathe planning is half the funella le dobla la edadshe isn't half the player/singer she used to be [colloquial]los preparativos son casi tan divertidos como la fiesta ( or el viaje etc) en síthe shirt had half sleevesno es ni con mucho la jugadora/cantante que erano es ni sombra de lo que era [colloquial]she managed a half smilela camisa era de manga cortato have a half share in somethingapenas logró esbozar una sonrisatener la mitad de algoExample sentences
- Nowadays he is on first-name terms with at least half of his audience.
- I imagine at least half the audience was completely off its gourd so God knows what he was doing to the collective psyche.
- The emcee is desperate to get us to stay, but half the audience gets up to leave anyway.
- the meat is half cookedthe work is only half donela carne está medio cruda or a medio cocershe was half asleepel trabajo está a medio hacerthe door was half closedestaba medio dormida or semidormidaI half expected to find him herela puerta estaba entreabiertaI was only half listeningen cierto modo esperaba encontrármelo aquíshe said it half jokinglyno estaba prestando mucha atenciónhalf walking, half runninglo dijo medio en bromahalf man, half horsemedio caminando, medio corriendoshe is half Italian, half Greekmitad hombre, mitad caballothey are paid half as much as we arees hija de italianos y griegosthat will cost you half as much againles pagan la mitad que a nosotrosthe movie isn't half as good as the book [colloquial]le costará un 50% másnot half (British English) [colloquial] (as intensifier) he isn't half cleverla película no es ni la mitad de buena que el librodo you like it? — not half!es inteligentísimoit isn't half cold today¿te gusta? — no me gusta, me encantahoy hace un frío de los demonios [colloquial]Example sentences
- In fact, I'm half inclined to start asking for Italy, just to see if I can do it!
- A lot of money went into it when the pond was repaired and residents believe it should look half decent.
- She jumped back slightly against the window half afraid of what he was going to say.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Carnaval is the three days of festivities preceding Lent, characterized by costumes, masks, drinking, music, and dancing.