Translation of happy in Spanish:
adjective happier, happiest
- 1 (of people) 1.1 (joyful, content)(person/family/home)
alegre(disposition)she's not happy unless she has somebody to shout at
alegresi no tiene a quien gritarle, no está contentaI hope you'll both be very happyque sean muy felicesque seáis muy felices (Spain)to make somebody happyhacer feliz a alguienhe is happy in his workestá contento con su trabajoI'd be happier if you weren't going aloneme quedaría más tranquilo si no fueras solohe'll promise them anything just to keep them happycon tal de tenerlos contentos, es capaz de prometerles cualquier cosaas happy as a sandboy/as a lark/as the day (is long)/as Larry (esp British)como unas pascuas
contentísimoExample sentences1.2 (pleased) (predicative) to be happy
alegrarsewe're so happy you're backnos alegramos tanto or estamos tan contentos de que hayas vueltoI'm so happy for youme alegro mucho por tihe was very happy that you had found a job
- Surely you can't have more than one quiet, smiling, happy and contented day in a row?
- If my observation serves me right, old folks are generally happy and contented with the way they spend their free time.
- The feel of the warm moist soil around my roots as they got stronger and ever deeper into the ground made me feel happy and contented.
¡cuánto me alegro!se alegró mucho de que hubieras encontrado trabajohe was happy to be back homeestaba contento de estar de vuelta en casashe'd be only too happy to helpella ayudaría encantada or con mucho gusto1.3 (satisfied) (predicative) to be happyestar contentoshe's not entirely happy with his workno está del todo contenta con su trabajosome people are happy with anythingalgunas personas se contentan con cualquier cosaExample sentences1.4 (tipsy) (British) [colloquial] (predicative) to be happy
estar alegreestar achispado [colloquial]
- Are you happy with the quality of the policy file that you have seen from Operation Helios?
- So I am not happy with the size of the squad, but I am certainly happy with the quality of it.
- I cannot be happy with my performance because the team as a whole hasn't had results.
- 2 (of events) 2.1 (giving pleasure)(days/times/occasion)the happiest days of your life
felizla época más feliz de la vidathe happy eventel feliz acontecimientohappy birthdayfeliz cumpleañosHappy New YearFeliz Año Nuevomany happy returns (of the day)!¡felicidades! or ¡que cumplas muchos más!2.2 (fortunate) (before noun)(coincidence)
felizExample sentences2.3 (felicitous) (formal or literary)
- For opportunities appear, at first glance, to have a happy knack of falling into the lap of the third season trainer.
- She has the happy knack of making the most mundane report appear interesting.
- The range in the city is broader than in most places, and the locals seem to have a happy knack with fish dishes particularly.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.