Translation of harden in Spanish:
- 1.1 (make hard)(steel/glass)1.2 (make tough, unfeeling)(person)to harden somebody
tosomethingto harden one's heartyou must harden your heart and tell him to goacostumbrar a alguien aalgo1.3 (confirm, stiffen)tienes que hacerte fuerte y decirle que se vaya(resolve/attitude)recent events have hardened political divisionslos últimos acontecimientos han hecho más pronunciadas las divisiones políticas
- 1 1.1 (become hard, set)(concrete/glue)1.2 (become tough, unfeeling)endurecerse(person/heart)1.3 (become rigid, cold)endurecerseinsensibilizarse(expression)endurecerseExample sentences
Example sentences1.4 (become inflexible, fixed)
- As the crystals form connections, the concrete stiffens, hardens, and gains strength.
- These are essential for keeping fat and water dispersed evenly in an emulsion, and then binding the free water after freezing and hardening so ice crystal formation is negligible.
- The glue-on patches have been just as ineffective, with most failures coming when the glue hardens and cracks and the patch peels away.
(attitude)he hardened in his resolve to …volverse inflexiblese afianzó en su decisión de …Example sentences
- They'll trumpet their exemplar's views when he says too much gothic severity hardens the heart, but probably don't care to publicise such statements as this.
- A glut of sob stories, short memories and disenchantment over aid funds will create a backlash that hardens people's hearts toward tragedy.
- The opening line was, ‘Immigration, it seems, hardens hearts and softens brains like few other issues’.
- The spectacle has now hardened into tradition.
- The country has long since hardened into its own shape, and whether it holds together or breaks into pieces is largely up to the Iraqis who now have it in their hands.
- He wasn't terribly popular in our part of the constituency and rumours, some of which have hardened into allegations, abounded.
- 2 (Finance) 2.1 (increase in value)(prices/shares)2.2 (stabilize)(market/prices)consolidarseExample sentences
- Trade has kept pretty steady over the past week, with lamb prices hardening in response to smaller numbers on the market.
- Goldman Sachs believes oil prices are continuing to harden and that buying at $55 per barrel forward offers huge potential gains to investors.
- He said ‘As the prospects of a bumper EU harvest fade rapidly due to adverse weather conditions, market prices for grain will harden.’
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Carnaval is the three days of festivities preceding Lent, characterized by costumes, masks, drinking, music, and dancing.