- 1 (scarcely) hardly anyone/anythingcasi nadie/nadathey hardly ever go therecasi nunca van allíhardly a day goes by without her paying us a visitcasi no pasa un día en que no nos haga una visitashe could hardly move her armapenas podía mover el brazoI could hardly believe my eyes
casi no podía mover el brazoapenas podía dar crédito a mis ojoshe hardly knew her
casi no podía dar crédito a mis ojosapenas la conocíait's hardly ten minutes since you came inno hace ni diez minutos que entrastehardly had she left when John arrivedse acababa de ir cuando llegó JohnExample sentences
- A degree in theatre arts hardly qualifies me as a nutritionist or a psychologist.
- If Judas were among the saved, these statements could hardly be true.
- If true, it's hardly inspirational to the troops.
- 2 (surely not) it's hardly what you'd call a masterpieceno es precisamente una obra maestrawill they appoint him? — hardly!¿le darán el cargo? — ¡me imagino que no!I'm hardly to blame for what happenedmal me puedes culpar a mí de lo que pasóI could hardly say nono me podía negarI need hardly remind you that …ni falta hace que les recuerde que …the news could hardly have come at a worse timela noticia no podía haber llegado en peor momentothat's hardly surprising!¡no es de extrañarse!Example sentences
- Now being a Texas resident for the past five years might make me a citizen of the state, but it hardly qualifies me as a true Texan.
- Nonetheless, despite the seemingly narrow focus, this outline is hardly insignificant.
- Still, at 58 degrees, that was hardly bath water lapping onto the sand near SeaWalk Pavilion.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.