- 1 (opening, cover)(Aviation, Nautical)down the hatch! [colloquial]
escotilla (feminine)¡salud!to batten down the hatchesprepararse para la tormentaExample sentences
- He unscrewed the bolts that secured an access hatch to the wall and keyed something into a control panel adjacent to it.
- There was also an access hatch in the floor that would require the use of a fork lift truck to lift goods of any weight up into the second floor.
- Emily leads the others down a short corridor until they come to an access hatch in the wall.
- And as the forward escape hatch was also destroyed, the LR5's only hope of gaining access to the submarine now is through the aft hatch.
- The pilot and his passenger, who were both wearing lap and diagonal shoulder straps, escaped injury and were able to climb out of the aircraft through the normal hatches.
- First Lt. Bill Bower, ready to bail out, paused at one of the bomber's hatches and peered into the darkening sky below for some sign that his crew got out of the aircraft safely.
- 3→ hatchway 2
- (chick)have the eggs hatched (out) yet?
salir del cascarón
nacer¿han salido ya los polluelos ( or las crías etc) del cascarón?Example sentences
- In the first two weeks after the young hatch, the female stays on the nest to brood them, and the male brings food for the female and the owlets.
- Roughly a hundred of these snakes could fit inside of the giant egg that the single snake hatched from.
- Just because the tops of many eggs were broken, does not necessarily mean the dinosaurs hatched.
- 2 (devise) [pejorative]Example sentences
- The pedestrianisation scheme has gone ahead even though it is difficult to find anyone outside the offices in which the plan has been hatched up who supports it.
- Did the two hatch the plot together, in secrecy, with the over eager Heffernan ready to cop the worst of it should their plan go belly up?
- So together they hatch the plot of doing The War of the Worlds on radio, to wow the studios.
sombrear (con trazos finos)Example sentences
- As I said, in the plan that is annexed to the first respondents' submissions, it is the shaded hatched area.
- But my gratitude also extends to those drivers who reverse on to main roads, see hatched areas as special taxi lanes and who ask for the removal of the indicator lights upon purchase of their vehicle.
- It cited improvements to the road layout, including lane markings, hatched areas and clearer road signs as the reason.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.