Translation of hear in Spanish:
- 1(sound/explosion/music)sorry, I can't hear a word you're saying
oírperdona pero no te oigo bienI heard you go/going outte oí salir/cuando salíasdid I hear somebody mention coffee?¿alguien habló de or mencionó café?did you hear what I said?¿oíste lo que dije?stop it! do you hear?¡basta! ¿me oyes?now hear this (US)presten atenciónbe quiet! I can't hear myself think [colloquial]¡silencio! no puedo pensar con tanto ruidoto hear her (talk), you'd think …cualquiera que la oyera creería que …I must be hearing things [colloquial]debo de habérmelo imaginadoI've heard it said that …he oído decir que …he was heard to say that …se le oyó decir que …let's hear it for the lucky winners/the President! (US) [colloquial]¡un aplauso para los afortunados ganadores/el presidente!Example sentences
- This may sound cruel but I hear catcalls and people pick on me enough outside my family home.
- She stumbled out of the way just as she heard the voice, sounding quite irritated.
- As Claire walked into the main corridor, she heard voices that sounded not too far off.
- It is at that point that his mantra changes from a selfish need to be heard to actually listening.
- He may be willing to listen but will he hear anything that's said?
- She complains that I don't talk to her and then she wonders why I get so angry because she never listens or hears anything I say.
- 2 (get to know) I heard it on the radiolo oí or me enteré por la radiounless you hear anything to the contrary, I'll be therea menos que te avise, estaré allífrom what I hear, they are comingsegún parece, vendránI've heard so much about youme han hablado tanto de tione doesn't hear much nowadays about …
he oído hablar tanto de tihoy en día casi no se oye hablar de …have you heard the latest?¿sabes la última?I've heard it all beforeya conozco la historiahave you heard the one about … ?¿conoces el chiste de … ?I hear that you are leavinghe oído que or me he enterado de que te vashe's very ill, I hearme han dicho que está muy enfermoI did hear from someone that …alguien me dijo que …I haven't yet heard whether I've got the jobtodavía no me han dicho si me dan el trabajoto hear tell of somethingI have heard tell of strange goings-on in that departmenthe oído decir que en ese departamento pasan cosas muy rarasExample sentences
- I've never heard of a swimming pool anywhere in the world that has banned backstroke.
- They say the proposed change will associate them with a place most people have never even heard of.
- What about lab technicians who are rarely heard of but whose competence can be a matter of life or death?
- 3 (listen to) 3.1 I hear you (US)ya veoFr Rolfe will be hearing confessions today
ya te entiendohoy confesará el padre Rolfeto hear mass Lord, hear our prayerSeñor, escucha nuestra oración3.2 (Law)
- It was pointed out that all other common law jurisdictions hear such cases in jury courts.
- To hear cases, the judges sit in Chambers of seven, appointed on a rotating basis from within each Section.
- Three appeal court judges will hear the case on March 31 as he launches his fight against the conviction.
- 1 (perceive) I couldn't hear for a whileme quedé un rato sin poder oírhear, hear!¡eso, eso!
- 2 (get news)tener noticiasto hear
aboutsomething/somebodyI heard about it through Dorisme enteré por DorisI heard about the problems they were havingme enteré de los problemas que teníanhave you heard about Sally?te has enterado de lo de Sally?to hear fromsomebodyI haven't heard from them for monthshace meses que no sé nada de ellos or que no tengo noticias suyaswe're still waiting to hear from the Statesseguimos esperando noticias de los Estados Unidosyou'll be hearing from us in a couple of weeksdentro de unas semanas nos pondremos en contacto con ustedExample sentences
- The next news they heard about Belinda was a phone call in 1997 informing them she had been arrested.
- If we could absorb the significance and importance of every death we heard about in the news then we would be unable to function.
- Many people saw things as they were reported on the TV news, or heard about them on the radio as they drove along.
- 1verb + preposition + object 1.1 (encounter, come to know of) I've heard of him never heard of him!
no tengo ni idea de quién esif you hear of anything interesting, let me know
si te enteras de algo interesante, me lo dicesdid you ever hear of such a thing!
¡habráse visto cosa igual!1.2 (have news of)
tener noticias or saber deshe hasn't been heard of since
desde entonces que no se sabe or no se tiene noticias de ellathey were last heard of in Laos
la última vez que se tuvo noticias or se supo de ellos estaban en Laos1.3 (allow) I won't hear of it!
¡ni hablar!I offered to let her stay, but she wouldn't hear of it
¡ni se te ( or le etc. ) ocurra!
¡ni se te ( or le etc. ) ocurra!
le dije que se podía quedar, pero no quiso aceptarmy father won't hear of us giving him any money
mi padre se niega rotundamente a que le demos dinero2verb + object + preposition + object (have news of) I've heard nothing of them since they moved away
no he sabido nada or no he tenido noticias de ellos desde que se mudaronwe'll be hearing more of this talented young musician
este joven y talentoso músico va a dar que hablarthat's the first I've heard of it!
¡no sabía nada!
¡recién me entero! (Latin America)I warn you: you haven't heard the last of this!
¡te advierto que esto no va a quedar así!
escuchar (hasta el final)I'll explain if you'll just hear me out
te lo explicaré si estás dispuesta a escucharmewe heard their tale out in silence
escuchamos su relato en silencio
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.