Translation of hedge in Spanish:
- 1 you look as if you've been dragged through a hedge backwards¡qué pinta(s) traes! [colloquial]
parece que vinieras de la guerraExample sentences
- High walls, fences, thorny hedges and bushes can all put off burglars but make sure the front of your home is visible to passers-by
- Tall shrubs, hedges, or vine-covered fences make a detached patio private.
- As the hedge grows, prune the sides so the bottom is slightly wider than the top to prevent the upper limbs from shading the lower ones.
- 2 (safeguard)a hedge
againstsomethinguna salvaguardia or coberturaas a hedge against inflation contraalgocomo salvaguardia or cobertura contra la inflaciónExample sentences
- So, as beautiful as the yellow metal might be, gold is neither a hedge against inflation nor a protection against uncertainty.
- The savings ratio is also influenced by inflation (rising prices), because people feel a greater need to save as a hedge against higher inflation.
- Experts nevertheless recommend that sophisticated investors have some gold in their portfolio not only as a hedge against inflation, but also as a way to control risk.
cercar (con seto)Example sentences
- At the junction of these roads was a fairly large field hedged all round.
- But the further south I got in England, the more the land was fenced in and hedged off.
- The floor area is shortly to be fenced to a height of three feet, then hedged and landscaped and when completed will be only facility of its kind in football and hopefully used for the promotion of the game in local schools.
- 2 (Finance) (investments)to hedge something (
againstsomething)cubrir or proteger algo (→ bet 1 2 contraalgo)Example sentences
- But how can investors hedge against rising commodity prices?
- I prefer to own these bonds in equal parts to hedge against a loss in the value of the U.S. dollar.
- Taking into account the worst scenario of a further rise in property prices, is there any kind of investment that I can hedge against this with my cash after the sale?
- 1 (evade the issue)dar rodeos
tratar de escaparse por la tangenteExample sentences
- Note that we're not hedging that statement - it will happen.
- ‘I've been busy,’ I hedged, trying to avoid eye contact.
- Under a storm of protest, Sontag at first hedged and then eventually dodged the issue.
- to be hedged about
- 1 (with hedge)
estar erizado or plagadoit was hedged about with legal problems
estaba erizado or plagado de problemas legales
cercar (con seto)2 (with restrictions, difficulties) (often passive) I felt hedged in by rules and regulations
me sentía muy limitado or constreñido or atado por toda la normativa
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.