- to take up/let down the hemsubir or meter/bajar or sacar el dobladillo or (in Chile also) la bastahems are going up/coming down this yeareste año se llevarán las faldas más cortas/largasExample sentences
- Top-stitched hems on denim garments tend to curl up to the outside.
- I sewed the armhole and neckline hems with a scant 1/4" seam; the bottom hem is about l/2".
- It features a left chest patch pocket, a clean front, and a shirttail hem.
transitive verb -mm-
hacerle el dobladillo or (in Chile also) la basta aExample sentences
- Moreover, overlocking seams and hemming garments are not necessary because the fabric doesn't fray.
- Construct the reversible top following the same method as for the jumper - so the lower hemmed edges hang free of each other.
- After measuring and cutting the canopy and headboard panel, narrowly hem the edges or bind them with coordinating binding strips.
- → ahemExample sentences
- In truth I had slept about 3 hours and breakfast had been a pint of Stella ah hem.
- Still staying off the sugar and to be honest, the proof will come when, eh hem, that other monthly thing arrives.
- Wang apparently forgot to ask about the keys for the machine when he purchased it for the, uh hem, bargain price of $75 off a man in East Harlem.
intransitive verb -mm-
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.