- to take up/let down the hemsubir or meter/bajar or sacar el dobladillosubir or meter/bajar or sacar la basta (Chile)hems are going up/coming down this yeareste año se llevarán las faldas más cortas/largasExample sentences
- Top-stitched hems on denim garments tend to curl up to the outside.
- I sewed the armhole and neckline hems with a scant 1/4" seam; the bottom hem is about l/2".
- It features a left chest patch pocket, a clean front, and a shirttail hem.
transitive verb present participle hemming past tense, past participle hemmed
hacerle el dobladillo a
hacerle la basta a (Chile)Example sentences
- Moreover, overlocking seams and hemming garments are not necessary because the fabric doesn't fray.
- Construct the reversible top following the same method as for the jumper - so the lower hemmed edges hang free of each other.
- After measuring and cutting the canopy and headboard panel, narrowly hem the edges or bind them with coordinating binding strips.
- → ahemExample sentences
- In truth I had slept about 3 hours and breakfast had been a pint of Stella ah hem.
- Still staying off the sugar and to be honest, the proof will come when, eh hem, that other monthly thing arrives.
- Wang apparently forgot to ask about the keys for the machine when he purchased it for the, uh hem, bargain price of $75 off a man in East Harlem.
intransitive verb present participle hemming past tense, past participle hemmed
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.