Translation of hew in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo (past tense of/pasado de hewed past participle of/participio pasado de, hewed or , hewn /hjuːn/)
- [stone] (extract) extraer*; (fashion) labrar, tallar; [coal] extraer* hewn from the living rock tallado en la roca viva they hewed a path through the undergrowth abrieron un sendero a través de la malezaExample sentences
- The girls are expected to help their mothers in drawing water, hewing wood, and plastering houses.
- A girl is regarded as grown up when she can cultivate food gardens, hew wood, carry water, and look after her family and family members even when her mother is absent.
- It's hard work climbing mountains and hewing wood.
- Each statue was hewn out of hard volcanic material from quarries near the Rano Raraku volcano.
- Rising vertically from the plains, some of these huge monoliths soar to a height of 400 metres, and the squat buildings on top of each appear to be hewn out of living rock.
- The road was now a stony, unsurfaced single track that had been hewn out of the sheer mountainside, hundreds of metres above the valley floor.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo (past participle of/participio pasado de hewed)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
The Distrito Federal is a district of central Mexico, the seat of the federal government. It includes most of Mexico City and its suburbs, and comes under the direct supervision of the Mexican president.