Translation of highway in Spanish:
- 1.1 (main road) carretera (feminine); (before noun/delante del nombre) (American English/inglés norteamericano) [patrol/patrolman] de carretera highway maintenance (British English/inglés británico) mantenimiento (masculine) de carreterasExample sentences1.2 (public way) vía (feminine) pública the King's highway (British English/inglés británico) [History/Historia] la calzada real the highways and byways (of region) las carreteras y los caminos (of subject) los senderos y vericuetos
- Most of the main roads and highways in the city are high enough to have escaped the flooding.
- No civilians were allowed on the newly closed main highways outside of town.
- It can be reached by highways from the major cities in Guangdong, Guangxi, and Hunan.
- But campaigners were dealt a bitter blow when county highways officials confirmed that Government funding would not be available for the bypass.
- Councillors from Horwich and Blackrod met with highways officials yesterday in an attempt to find a solution to traffic problems in Crown Lane, Horwich.
- But highways officials now say the 14th century bridge will be ready to reopen in less than six weeks.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
The Premios Goya del cine español is the Spanish equivalent of Oscars, awarded in January every year by the AACC (Academia de las Artes y las Ciencias Cinematográficas de España). The winners receive a bust of the painter Goya.