Translation of hole in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (in belt, material, clothing)(in road) bache (masculine)(in wall) boquete (masculine)(in defenses) brecha (feminine)my socks are in holestengo los calcetines llenos de agujerosto make a hole in somethinghacer un agujero en algothat made a hole in their savings
agujerear algoeso se llevó or se comió buena parte de sus ahorrosin the hole (American English) we're $10,000 in the hole to the bankle debemos 10.000 dólares al bancoI'm just going deeper and deeper in the holecada vez estoy más endeudado or más cargado de deudasmoney just burns a hole in his/her pocketel dinero le quema las manosto need something like a hole in the headI need a visit from him like I need a hole in the head¡lo único que me faltaba! ¡que él viniera a verme!Example sentences
Example sentences1.2 (in argument, proposal) to pick holes in something
- Transplant the seedlings in the normal manner by making a small hole through the surface mulch/manure and plant them into it.
- Jay mounded flour, made a hole in it, and dumped in a pinch of salt and then an egg.
- He's been out in the car park for the last couple of weeks, digging a big hole in the ground.
encontrarle defectos or faltas a algohe picked holes in their plan/theoryle encontró defectos a su plan/teoríaExample sentences1.3 (of animal) mouse hole
- Take a large sewing needle to puncture evenly spaced holes around the top and bottom of the shade.
- We worked along the steel wall passing large circular holes where the heavy brass portholes had once been.
- The roof is leaking, there are holes in the floor, the sewage pipes are broken, the heating doesn't work - there is no money in the kitty.
- Good on the surface, but as many have pointed out, all the plot holes and problems show up when you think about it for more than 10 seconds.
- One insider said the reason for the explosion of counterfeiting was the hole still existing in the law.
- Within 24 hr of the announcement, wily business pilots had figured out the plan was full of holes.
- While walking this earth he commented that foxes had holes and birds had nests in which to live, but he had ‘nowhere to lay his head’.
- Hounds that have successfully tracked a fox are trained to pull it or dig it out of its hole, and the fox is killed.
- From holes, burrows, and crevices, the creatures of the desert night crawled.
- 2 (Sport) 2.1 (in golf) to play nine/eighteen holesjugar (un partido) a nueve/dieciocho hoyosExample sentences2.2 (in US football)
- Steve Ryser and Mike Franklin sunk a long putt each on holes nine and eighteen respectively.
- Lytham is a classic seaside links, nine flattish holes out, nine flattish holes in.
- This usually occurs on short putts as golfers try to steer the ball toward the hole.
- 3 3.1 (unpleasant place) [colloquial]this town is a real hole!¡qué pueblo de mala muerte! [colloquial]his room was a dirty holesu cuarto era un cuchitril inmundoExample sentences
Example sentences3.2 (awkward situation) [colloquial]to be in a hole
- Her sudden idea to bring Ryan with her, to the hole of a town she originated from, had not been discussed with him.
- Students were aggrieved at the possibility of being ‘stuck renting a hole in Cowley’ as Jessop put it.
- Four more fights in this hole before we get the hell out of here.
estar en un apuro or aprietoto get somebody out of a holesacar a alguien de un apuro or aprieto
- The stage was huge - the World Cup - his team was in a hole, and the situation was certainly death or glory.
- The criticism of the state companies has surfaced at a time when they appear to be climbing out of the financial holes into which they stumbled in the 1990s.
- It took us 20 years to get in this hole and it's going to take us 20 years to get out.
- 1 (in golf)(ball)
embocar(putt/shot)he holed the 15th in four
transformarhizo el hoyo 15 en cuatro golpesExample sentences
- Magnificently, he holed the shot and allowed himself to smile again.
- I'm swinging the club the way I want to, the putter is okay too, it's just that I'm holing nothing.
- I wasn't at the green when he holed the putt and punched the air four or five times, but it remains one of my strongest memories, even now.
abrir una brecha enExample sentences
- Two days later it was holed and drifting landwards with oil gushing out of its tanks.
- Casualties were light but they lost one of their ships when it hit a rock and was holed.
- The vessel was holed in numerous tanks with loss of crude and resultant pollution.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.