Translation of holiday in Spanish:
- 1.1 (day) Thursday is a holidayel jueves es fiesta or día festivoel jueves es (día) feriado (Latin America)Example sentences1.2 (period away from work)
(especially British English) (often plural)I'm taking my holiday(s) in Junevacaciones (feminine plural)we usually go abroad for our holiday(s)me voy a tomar las vacaciones en juniovoy a coger las vacaciones en junio (Spain)me voy a tomar la licencia en junio (Colombia) (Mexico) (River Plate area)to go on holiday o one's holidaysnormalmente nos vamos de vacaciones al extranjeroto be on holidayirse de vacacionesI spent my holidays abroadestar de vacacioneswhere do you spend your summer holidays?pasé mis vacaciones or (in Mexico also) vacacioné en el extranjeroI really need a holiday¿dónde veraneas?it was good to have a holiday from the kidsme hacen falta unas vacacionespaid holiday(s), holiday(s) with payme vino muy bien descansar de los niñoshow much holiday have you got left?vacaciones pagadas or retribuidaslicencia or vacaciones con goce de sueldo (Southern Cone)¿cuántos días de vacaciones te quedan?(before noun) (mood/feeling/spirit)(cottage/trip)what's your holiday entitlement?de vacacionesthe holiday season¿cuántos días de vacaciones te corresponden?la temporada de vacaciones(Christmas etc)holiday trafficlas Navidadeslas fiestas de fin de año (Latin America)1.3tráfico (masculine) vacacional or de las vacaciones(British English) (Sch, Univ) (often plural)during the (school) holiday(s)vacaciones (feminine plural)durante las vacaciones (escolares) or (in Chile also) el feriado (escolar)Example sentences
- Special and often ostentatious efforts are mounted for public holidays and festivals.
- It also lets you know when there are public holidays, so that you can either avoid them or make sure you're there to join in!
- However, unlike the USA and Canada, Britain does not celebrate the harvest with an official public holiday.
- She travelled to America on holiday for the second time in February 2001.
- Our parents are good friends and as children we went on camping trips and spent holidays together.
- Danny was a sixteen-year-old boy who she'd met on holiday in Spain last summer.
- (especially British English)pasar las vacaciones(in summer)we're holidaying in Spain/at home this yeareste año pasaremos las vacaciones en España/no saldremos fuera de vacacionesExample sentences
- He flew with friends to Thailand on Wednesday, December 22 to spend three weeks holidaying on the coast.
- Fears were growing today for three York tourists who were holidaying in Thailand when the Asian earthquake struck.
- It is very much a romantic getaway with more couples holidaying there than families or single people.
Cultural Note: holidays
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Carnaval is the three days of festivities preceding Lent, characterized by costumes, masks, drinking, music, and dancing.