Translation of hollow in Spanish:
- 1 1.1(tree/tooth/wall)I feel a bit hollow
huecotengo el estómago vacíohe must have a hollow leg o (British English) hollow legsdebe tener la solitaria
es un barril sin fondoExample sentences1.2
- The inside was black and hollow, making it look like an empty tube.
- Only the grimy streets and the hollow shell of his mother's home remain.
- The framework is basically a hollow cylinder of collagenous connective tissue, the skin.
- The cold, hollow sounds of their steps echoing behind them made the little hairs on the back of his neck rise.
- I dropped the pole and it clattered to the pier with a hollow thunk.
- It hit a tree with a hollow clunk and bounced back to land at his feet.
- Facial wasting, a condition identified by sunken cheeks, hollow eyes and temples is caused by a loss of fat tissue under the skin.
- They had hollow eyes and sunken cheeks, and they wailed horribly in the darkness.
- Her cheeks were sunken and hollow, her body almost frail-looking, her hair limp and sticking to her face.
- 2 2.1(success/triumph)
vacíoExample sentences2.2 his words had a hollow ring, his words rang hollow
sus palabras sonaban falsasshe gave a hollow laughsoltó una risa sardónicato beat somebody all hollow o (British English) beat somebody hollow [colloquial]darle una paliza a alguien [colloquial]Example sentences
- A deeper read, however, suggests something more complicated, a pattern of embarrassing defeats and hollow victories.
- There is a call for peaceful direct action that could leave the hardliners with a certain but hollow victory when the election results come in.
- Fielding women candidates can be a hollow victory if they are not resourced to campaign effectively and confidently.
- The first item on that shopping list will trigger hollow laughter among the rest of the world's steel makers.
- It was a very hollow gesture.
- We cement our relationships with our barren love and hollow dialogues.
- 1.1 (empty space)Example sentences1.2 (depression) the hollow of one's hand
el cuenco or (Mexico) la cuenca de la manoExample sentences1.3 (dell, valley)
- Electrical and communication components can be encased in nonconductive materials and fitted together within concrete hollows behind prescribed openings in the walls for outlets.
- The actuator body pivots about a pivot axis and is attached to the cartridge bearing assembly disposed within an inner hollow of the actuator body.
- I pulled the small piece of parchment from within the hollow of the band and handed it to Janet for her to read out loud.
- European Starlings are cavity nesters, and nests are generally located in natural hollows, old woodpecker holes, birdhouses, or building eaves and crevices.
- I pulled the last button through what I hoped was its corresponding hole just below the hollow of my neck, and for the first time looked down at my breakfast.
- How convenient it was that all the prey species were excavating holes and hollows and leafy chambers, and stuffing them with helpless nestlings just when he needed them.
- A thaw finally set in but the snow remained in many hollows and mountainous areas right into the summer of that year.
- Cool, humid air after the warmth of the city, and patches of fog in the hollows; smells of car exhaust on the way out, and fishy smells once we got there.
- In the hollow of this tiny valley, lay a white public house.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.