Translation of hollow in Spanish:
- 1 1.1(tree/tooth/wall)I feel a bit hollowhe must have a hollow leg o (British English) hollow legstengo el estómago vacíodebe tener la solitariaes un barril sin fondoExample sentences1.2
- The inside was black and hollow, making it look like an empty tube.
- Only the grimy streets and the hollow shell of his mother's home remain.
- The framework is basically a hollow cylinder of collagenous connective tissue, the skin.
- The cold, hollow sounds of their steps echoing behind them made the little hairs on the back of his neck rise.
- I dropped the pole and it clattered to the pier with a hollow thunk.
- It hit a tree with a hollow clunk and bounced back to land at his feet.
- Facial wasting, a condition identified by sunken cheeks, hollow eyes and temples is caused by a loss of fat tissue under the skin.
- They had hollow eyes and sunken cheeks, and they wailed horribly in the darkness.
- Her cheeks were sunken and hollow, her body almost frail-looking, her hair limp and sticking to her face.
- 2 2.1(success/triumph)2.2 his words had a hollow ring, his words rang hollowshe gave a hollow laughsus palabras sonaban falsasto beat somebody all hollow o (British English) beat somebody hollow [colloquial]soltó una risa sardónicadarle una paliza a alguien [colloquial]Example sentences
- The first item on that shopping list will trigger hollow laughter among the rest of the world's steel makers.
- It was a very hollow gesture.
- We cement our relationships with our barren love and hollow dialogues.
- A deeper read, however, suggests something more complicated, a pattern of embarrassing defeats and hollow victories.
- There is a call for peaceful direct action that could leave the hardliners with a certain but hollow victory when the election results come in.
- Fielding women candidates can be a hollow victory if they are not resourced to campaign effectively and confidently.
- 1.1 (empty space) 1.2 (depression) the hollow of one's handel cuenco or (Mexico) la cuenca de la manoExample sentences1.3 (dell, valley)
- European Starlings are cavity nesters, and nests are generally located in natural hollows, old woodpecker holes, birdhouses, or building eaves and crevices.
- I pulled the last button through what I hoped was its corresponding hole just below the hollow of my neck, and for the first time looked down at my breakfast.
- How convenient it was that all the prey species were excavating holes and hollows and leafy chambers, and stuffing them with helpless nestlings just when he needed them.
- A thaw finally set in but the snow remained in many hollows and mountainous areas right into the summer of that year.
- Cool, humid air after the warmth of the city, and patches of fog in the hollows; smells of car exhaust on the way out, and fishy smells once we got there.
- In the hollow of this tiny valley, lay a white public house.
- Electrical and communication components can be encased in nonconductive materials and fitted together within concrete hollows behind prescribed openings in the walls for outlets.
- The actuator body pivots about a pivot axis and is attached to the cartridge bearing assembly disposed within an inner hollow of the actuator body.
- I pulled the small piece of parchment from within the hollow of the band and handed it to Janet for her to read out loud.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Opus Dei - Latin for "God's Work" - is a Catholic organization founded in Spain in 1928. The Opus became very influential in Spanish society, above all by founding schools and universities. The aim was to create an élite which would spread Christian ideals throughout society. The University of Navarre is one of its foremost institutions.