Translation of hollow in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 [tree/tooth/wall] hueco I feel a bit hollow tengo el estómago vacío he must have a hollow leg o (British English/inglés británico) hollow legs debe tener la solitaria, es un barril sin fondoExample sentences1.2 [sound] hueco; [voice] apagado, ahogado
Example sentences1.3 [cheeks/eyes] hundido
- The inside was black and hollow, making it look like an empty tube.
- Only the grimy streets and the hollow shell of his mother's home remain.
- The framework is basically a hollow cylinder of collagenous connective tissue, the skin.
- The cold, hollow sounds of their steps echoing behind them made the little hairs on the back of his neck rise.
- I dropped the pole and it clattered to the pier with a hollow thunk.
- It hit a tree with a hollow clunk and bounced back to land at his feet.
- Facial wasting, a condition identified by sunken cheeks, hollow eyes and temples is caused by a loss of fat tissue under the skin.
- They had hollow eyes and sunken cheeks, and they wailed horribly in the darkness.
- Her cheeks were sunken and hollow, her body almost frail-looking, her hair limp and sticking to her face.
- 2 2.1 [success/triumph] vacío 2.2 [person] vacío, vacuo; [promises/threats] vano, falso; [words] hueco, vacío his words had a hollow ring, his words rang hollow sus palabras sonaban falsas she gave a hollow laugh soltó una risa sardónica to beat sb all hollow o (British English/inglés británico) beat sb hollow [colloquial/familiar] darle* una paliza a algn [colloquial/familiar]Example sentences
- The first item on that shopping list will trigger hollow laughter among the rest of the world's steel makers.
- It was a very hollow gesture.
- We cement our relationships with our barren love and hollow dialogues.
- A deeper read, however, suggests something more complicated, a pattern of embarrassing defeats and hollow victories.
- There is a call for peaceful direct action that could leave the hardliners with a certain but hollow victory when the election results come in.
- Fielding women candidates can be a hollow victory if they are not resourced to campaign effectively and confidently.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
The current Spanish Constitution (Constitución Española) was approved in the