- 1 1.1 (on coat, jacket)Example sentences1.2 (pointed) 1.3 (on ceremonial robes)
muceta (feminine) (con capillo)Example sentences1.4 (in falconry)
- They wore duffel coats with the hoods up.
- Right in front of her was a group people in cloaks, their hoods pulled over their faces to hide themselves, no doubt.
- The figure wore a black cloak with the hood pulled over his or her face, making it impossible for the young man to see any distinct features.
- Excited graduates walk up and down, parading their finery of gowns, hoods and mortarboards seemingly oblivious to the fact that these are colonial trappings.
- It was Graduation day at de Montfort on Thursday, with hundreds of young people wearing their gowns and colourful hoods, and dozens of doting parents taking pictures.
- During the afternoon ceremony, master's degrees were conferred on 510 new graduates wearing brightly colored hoods denoting their major.
capillo (masculine)Example sentences
- There is a falcon hood - the brown leather dome, crowned with a tuft of feathers, is brittle like a little skull - and an envelope contains a watch.
- Hoods are used to keep the bird calm during transport.
- It's the same principal falconers use when they put a hood over a falcon's head.
- 2 2.1 (on chimney, cooker)(on machine) cubierta (feminine)Example sentences2.2 (American English) (Cars)
- Range hoods and fans remove grease and moisture from cooking, and so collect dirt.
- In the real case, it is likely that combustion products would have been removed by the extraction hood, even after the fan had failed.
- And all range hoods require occasional cleaning or replacing of the grease-covered metal filters.
Example sentences2.3 (folding cover) (British English)
- One drawback about the folding hard top is that you can't get luggage out when the hood is folded down.
- If the toy you choose has a clip, it will enable you to attach it to the front of the pram hood above the baby's head.
- From hoods to hubcaps, mirrors to spoilers and even wheels, these cars feature a sleek design combined with affordable pricing.
- The body panels, including the doors, the fenders, the hood and the tailgate are of course among the most vulnerable.
- For example, aluminum is used for the hood, front and rear bumper beams, and rear suspension knuckle.
- (American English) [slang] (gangster)matón, (-tona) (masculine, feminine) [colloquial]Example sentences
- It's a film that focuses on ethics, be they pure or prurient, and how criminals and hoods can still require a sense of justice and fair play.
- His connections to senior criminal organisations and well-placed hoods are known to police.
- She also is fascinated by the hoods and low-lifes that Nick looks up as he meanders his way through the task of finding Clyde Wynant.
- They had ghastly visions of the boys in the hood heading for their neighborhoods next.
- If you live in the hood, or are passing through Russian Hill and need to check mail on your laptop, Nook would be a worthy, comfortable place to stop.
- Check them out, and if they play live in your hood go see them, you won't be disappointed.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.