Translation of hopeless in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (allowing no hope)(situation)
imposible(task)it's a hopeless case
imposiblees un caso perdido(Medicine)he's a hopeless case (pupil)
no tiene cura
está desahuciadono tiene remedio(patient)1.2 (inveterate)
- The staff were good on smiles and sartorial smartness, but fairly hopeless at actually doing what was required of them.
- My problem was that I was brilliant at English but hopeless at maths.
- When will governments learn they are hopeless at running businesses?
- 2 (incompetent, inadequate) [colloquial]you're hopeless! give me the scissors¡eres un inútil! dame esas tijerasas an interviewer, she's absolutely hopelesscomo entrevistadora, es una nulidadthe train service on this line is hopelessel servicio de trenes en esta línea es desastroso or es un desastreto be hopeless
atsomethingser negadoI'm hopeless at languages paraalgosoy negada para los idiomas
- 3 (despairing)(cry)
- That delicious uncertainty has been replaced by despairing, hopeless inevitability.
- Finally, never leave the examination hall in despair, however hopeless things may seem.
- In the light of the authorities to which I have already referred, that ground of appeal was clearly hopeless.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.