Translation of horse in Spanish:
- 1 countable (Zoology) to ride a horsemontar a caballoandar a caballo (Southern Cone) (Mexico)he lost a lot of money on the horsesperdió mucho dinero en las carreras de caballosfrom the horse's mouth [colloquial]I want to hear it straight from the horse's mouthquiero que me lo diga él mismo/ella mismahis/her high horsewhen he gets on his high horse …cuando se pone a pontificar …you'd better get down off your high horseva a ser mejor que bajes el gallo [colloquial]hold your horses [colloquial]¡un momentito!horses for courses (British) [colloquial]a cada cual, lo suyoI could eat a horsetengo un hambre caninato back the wrong horse
me comería una vaca enterahacer una mala elecciónto be a horse of another or a different color to beat or (British) flog a dead horse [colloquial]talking to them about cutting expenditure is a case of beating a dead horsehablarles de reducir gastos es como arar en el mar or como machacar en hierro fríoasking him to contribute is like beating a dead horsepedirle que colabore es pedirle peras al olmoto change horses in midstreamcambiar de parecer ( or de política etc. ) a mitad de caminoto drive a horse and cart through somethingarrasar con algoto eat like a horsecomer como un sabañón or como una lima (nueva)wild horseswild horses wouldn't make me go back to that jobpor nada del mundo volvería a ese trabajowild horses couldn't keep me awayno me lo perdería por nada del mundoyou can lead or take a horse to water but you can't make it drinkpuedes darle un consejo a alguien, pero no puedes obligarlo a que lo siga(before noun) horse blanketmanta (feminine) para caballoExample sentences
- A horse pulling a cart carrying racegoers was struck by lightning and died and a passenger was killed.
- The mowing machine for the barley and oats was pulled by two horses and carried two people - the blades would be flying when it was in use.
- Domestic donkeys interact well with other livestock animals such as horses, cows, goats, sheep, and llamas.
- I now have more mares than male horses though among the top 10 I own three of them are males.
- The photo is cropped closely so that the reader is not aware that he's looking at a picture of a male horse rather than a mare.
- On the roof of the cave deft hands had painted bison, elk, horses and wild boars.
- Wild horses can be tamed, but Finch said it takes someone who is knowledgeable and experienced.
- The horse family - Equiidae - was an especial success story during the Neogene.
- 2 countable (vaulting-block)Example sentences
- And the wall bars and horses which have characterised school gym halls for hundreds of years will be replaced by treadmills and electronic recumbent bikes.
- R. Mikaelyan was first among the Soviet gymnasts who started with the long horse.
- A year later Olga won her first award at the national title meet - a gold medal in the horse vault.
- 3 (cavalry) (+ plural verb) light horseExample sentences
- The cavalry regiments have always been splendidly dressed, with the light horse being the most dashing.
- He fought alongside the duke at the naval battles off Lowestoft in 1665 and at Sole Bay in 1672 and, though a catholic, was made colonel of a regiment of horse.
- The next level down was the commander of the fire unit - the horse artillery troop or foot artillery company - equivalent to modern batteries.
- 4 uncountable (heroin) [slang]caballo (masculine) [slang]Example sentences
- For the great horse called heroin will take you to hell.
- Instead of a bunch of layabouts smoking glue and cracking charlie's horse with LSD, we could have good, fit criminals with discipline and firearms skills.
- He remembers his first taste of marijuana, his first snort of horse.
armar relajo (Latin America) [colloquial]
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.