Translation of hover in Spanish:
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- 1.1 (in air) [helicopter] sostenerse* en el aire ([ sin avanzar ]) mantenerse* inmóvil en el aire; [bird] cernerse* to hover
overo abovesth/sb [hawk/threat] cernerse* sobrealgo/algnExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (linger, be poised) rondar the temperature hovered around 20° la temperatura rondaba los 20° her secretary was hovering at her elbow su secretario le andaba alrededor a smile/question hovered on her lips sus labios esbozaron una sonrisa/una pregunta they were hovering on the brink of disaster estaban casi al borde del desastre
- Overhead, a helicopter hovers at such a low height that it only just clears the occasional overpass bridges that appear.
- Sumner compared it to the difference between a helicopter passing overhead or hovering.
- Overhead 10 helicopters hovered, cameramen and photographers ready to shoot the action.
- With fuel prices hovering near record high levels, can any carrier turn a profit?
- The CDC reported deaths as a whole from influenza hovering near epidemic levels.
- Gas prices continue to hover near record levels, but if you think you're paying too much at the pump that may be the least of your worries.
Example sentences1.3 (be undecided) dudar, vacilar, estar* indeciso
- Leanne's hand hovered over a large, blue button on her console, preparing to press it.
- The ice storm hovered over the Ontario and Quebec area until Jan. 14.
- Thick, low clouds hovered over Jay's house like fists ready to strike.
- So he hovered close and waited, and in the middle of the third week, his vigilance paid off.
- As I stammered my way to buying a bag of apples, and my classmates donned other wacky guises, Ralph hovered close by to cast a critical eye and ear over our performances.
- We hover close enough that I can see the matted clumps in the bear's shaggy, pale brown coat.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
The Distrito Federal is a district of central Mexico, the seat of the federal government. It includes most of Mexico City and its suburbs, and comes under the direct supervision of the Mexican president.