intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- 1.1 (in air) [helicopter] sostenerse* en el aire ([ sin avanzar ]) mantenerse* inmóvil en el aire; [bird] cernerse* to hover
overo abovesth/sb [hawk/threat] cernerse* sobrealgo/algnMore example sentences
More example sentences1.2 (linger, be poised) rondar the temperature hovered around 20° la temperatura rondaba los 20° her secretary was hovering at her elbow su secretario le andaba alrededor a smile/question hovered on her lips sus labios esbozaron una sonrisa/una pregunta they were hovering on the brink of disaster estaban casi al borde del desastre
- Overhead, a helicopter hovers at such a low height that it only just clears the occasional overpass bridges that appear.
- Sumner compared it to the difference between a helicopter passing overhead or hovering.
- Overhead 10 helicopters hovered, cameramen and photographers ready to shoot the action.
More example sentences
- With fuel prices hovering near record high levels, can any carrier turn a profit?
- The CDC reported deaths as a whole from influenza hovering near epidemic levels.
- Gas prices continue to hover near record levels, but if you think you're paying too much at the pump that may be the least of your worries.
More example sentences1.3 (be undecided) dudar, vacilar, estar* indeciso
- Leanne's hand hovered over a large, blue button on her console, preparing to press it.
- The ice storm hovered over the Ontario and Quebec area until Jan. 14.
- Thick, low clouds hovered over Jay's house like fists ready to strike.
- So he hovered close and waited, and in the middle of the third week, his vigilance paid off.
- As I stammered my way to buying a bag of apples, and my classmates donned other wacky guises, Ralph hovered close by to cast a critical eye and ear over our performances.
- We hover close enough that I can see the matted clumps in the bear's shaggy, pale brown coat.
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Guernica is a Basque town destroyed by German bombers fighting on the Nationalist side in the Spanish Civil War in April 1937.