Translation of idea in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (plan, suggestion) I have an ideatengo una ideathen I had an ideaentonces se me ocurrió una ideaJohn came up with a much better ideaa John se le ocurrió una idea mucho mejorshe hit on the idea of doing it like thisse le ocurrió hacerlo asíwhat a good idea! it's a good idea to oil the hinges regularlyconviene engrasar las bisagras con regularidadthat's not a bad ideano es mala ideait seemed like a good idea at the timeen aquel momento pareció una buena ideait might not be a bad idea to leave nowno sería mala idea que nos fuéramos yayou and your bright ideas! [ironic]¡tú y tus brillantes ideas! [ironic]it wasn't my ideano fue idea míagift ideas for Christmasideas para regalos de NavidadI don't think much of the idea of your going alonela idea de que vayas solo no me hace mucha graciaI like the idea of going to a Chinese restaurantme gusta la idea de ir a un restaurante chinoExample sentences1.2 (purpose, principle) the whole idea of the operation was to attract publicity
habían hecho la operación con la idea de atraer publicidadthat's the general ideade eso se trataI think I get the (general) ideacreo que ya entiendoyou get the idea, don't you?entiendes ¿no?what's the big idea? [colloquial]¿pero qué es esto?Example sentences
- The Trust is also on the look out for new members to put forward suggestions and ideas for future projects.
- None of this is to suggest that the driver retraining course is a bad idea or a soft option.
- Many of the audience have pledged to do far more than just one of the ideas suggested in the programme.
- No other institution enjoys such sweeping powers to suppress the expression of opinions and ideas.
- Instead we must turn to what is intelligible: the values, beliefs and ideas revealed by art.
- In my opinion, these ideas and ideals are slipping fast, and we need to fight for them.
- It involves listening to the other side, not with the idea of debate but for the purpose of learning.
- Perhaps the idea of us meeting up again was not the purpose of our encounter.
- Allan has other ideas, of course, and a bid for one or other of his rivals now looks certain.
- 2 2.1 (concept, mental image) I find the idea of eating snails revoltingsolo la idea de comer caracoles me da ascomy idea of Irelandla idea que yo tengo or me hago de Irlandathat's not my idea of fun/of a partyeso no es lo que yo entiendo por diversión/por una fiestathe very idea!¡a quién se le ocurre!Example sentences
Example sentences2.2 (understanding) for a clearer idea consult this book
- He probably had the best idea of what was going on of anyone in this room, besides me, that is.
- Women probably have a better idea of the male world and male values than men do of women's.
- Many of us perhaps have little idea what it must be like to be in the depths of despair.
para hacerse or tener una idea más clara, consulte este librocan you give me some idea of what happened at the meeting?¿me puedes dar una idea de lo que pasó en la reunión?I've got a rough idea of what you meanya me hago una idea aproximada de lo que quieres decirhave you any idea of the damage you've caused?¿tú tienes idea or noción del daño que has hecho?you have no idea what I went throughno te puedes imaginar lo que paséwhere is he? — (I've) no idea!¿dónde está? — (no tengo) ni ideaI haven't the slightest o foggiest idea what you're talking aboutno tengo (ni) la menor or (ni) la más remota or (ni) la más mínima idea de qué estás hablandoshe has no idea how to handle peopleno tiene idea de cómo tratar a la gente2.3 (impression, belief) I had an idea you might not stay there very longme daba la impresión or tenía la idea de que no te quedarías allí mucho tiempowhatever gave you that idea?¿de dónde sacaste esa idea?I don't know where she got the idea I was Belgian [colloquial]no sé de dónde sacó (la idea de) que yo era belga [colloquial]to get the wrong idea [colloquial]don't get the wrong ideano me malinterpretesyou've got the wrong idea
- In contrast, Kant calls the concepts of pure reason 'transcendental ideas.'
- Kant nonetheless takes the ideas of God, the soul, and the world to have a valid philosophical use as regulative, i.e., for guiding the direction of inquiry to be all the more encompassing in scope.
a ver si me entiendeshas entendido malonce he gets an idea into his headcuando se le mete una idea en la cabezato get ideas [colloquial] (get one's hopes up)hacerse ilusiones(become arrogant) OK, you won, but don't start getting ideas he has big ideas about becoming a star [colloquial]está convencido de que se va a convertir en una estrellato put ideas in o into somebody's head, to give somebody ideasmeterle ideas en la cabeza a alguien
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.