- 1 c (expression) modismo (m), giro (m) (idiomático), expresión (f) idiomática, idiotismo (m)More example sentences
- India has had a longer exposure to English than any other country which uses it as a second language, and its distinctive words, idioms, grammar, rhetoric and rhythms are numerous and pervasive.
- Consider the case of idioms which contain a word which has no uses outside the idiom itself.
- Brewer's aim was to help readers understand the context of the catchphrases, clichés, slogans and odd linguistic idioms by which the British make themselves understood.
- 2 u c 2.1 (language) lenguaje (m) the characters use a working-class idiom los personajes emplean el lenguaje de la clase trabajadora the local idiom el habla del lugar 2.2 (style) [Art] [Mus] lenguaje (m), estilo (m)More example sentences
More example sentences
- In his abstract expressionist paintings, popular idioms found in his music clearly present themselves.
- An accomplished singer, she is well versed in singing various styles and idioms of music.
- As a result, music hall idioms and artistes were ubiquitous.
- She perfectly recreates the idioms and dialects of a certain sort of Manchester, and it was un-put-downable in a slightly addictive, confessional way.
- It is an uphill task capturing the true spirit of the original, not missing out on the nuances and finer points of the dialect and the local idiom, or for that matter, the tenor and authentic flavour of the literary work in question.
- There are southern and northern dialects, each having three regional idioms.
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
La movida madrileña is an expression referring to the Madrid social and cultural scene of the late 1970s and early 1980s, and the people involved in it. It was a youth phenomenon based around night spots in the city, such as the now defunct club Rock-Ola. One of the leading lights of the movida was the movie director Pedro Almodóvar.