adj (-er, -est)
- 1 1.1 (unwell) enfermo, malo (Esp, Méx) [familiar/colloquial] she's ill está enferma she's ill with measles tiene sarampión he looked ill tenía mala cara fish makes me ill el pescado me sienta mal the strain is making me ill la tensión me está afectando I felt really ill after eating it me sentí muy mal después de comerlo to be taken ill ponerse* enfermo, enfermarse (AmL) to fall ill enfermar, caer* enfermo 1.2 (nauseous, sick) [euphemism/eufemismo] to be ill devolver*, vomitarMore example sentences
- Leaders of our medical organisations should not allow informed consent to interfere with clinical management of infectious disease or seriously ill patients.
- Two other patients are critically ill after contracting the disease through infected organs from the donor.
- Siti said that volunteers should also understand that terminally ill patients usually suffer from psychological strain due to their illness.
- 2 (bad) (before n) ill effects efectos (mpl) negativos or adversos his ill health su mala salud ill humor o (BrE) humour malhumor (m) what ill luck! ¡qué mala suerte! a bird of ill omen un pájaro de mal agüero a house/woman of ill repute [euphemism/eufemismo] una casa/una mujer de mala reputación [eufemismo/euphemism]More example sentences
- It was because of her ill judgment.
- Is their any provision to ban an umpire for his attitude problems and making of ill decisions?
- 1.1 (hardly) I can ill afford to buy a new car mal puedo yo permitirme comprar un coche nuevo we can ill afford to let such an opportunity slip realmente no podemos dejar pasar semejante oportunidad 1.2 (badly) [formal] mal to speak/think ill of sb hablar/pensar* mal de algn it bodes ill for the future es de mal agüeroMore example sentences
- The Bosnian government was ill prepared to defend the country with no army and only a poorly equipped territorial defense force.
- I must be that inexplicably angry, obtuse, ill mannered, audacious, pompous blow-hard that writes insulting letters to The Peak!
- The big worry is that the cash-strapped Irish health service is ill equipped to deal with an epidemic of any form, least of all a potentially fatal virus like SARS.
- mal (m) the social ills afflicting our country los males sociales que aquejan a nuestro paísMore example sentences
- As tempting as it is to demonise computer games for society's ills, the evidence does not suggest such a simple link.
- Of all the social ills and problems plaguing Bihar, sati was never on the list.
- Both of them believe that society's ills can be fixed by putting the right man at the top to make laws and crack down on the wrong people.