transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1 [restriction/punishment/condition] imponer* the judge imposed the maximum sentence el juez aplicó la pena máxima she imposed her will on them les impuso su voluntad I won't impose my presence on you any further no lo importuno más con mi presenciaMore example sentences
More example sentences
- She said the present system had come about mainly due to the restrictions imposed by international institutions.
- In the meantime, if the bill is delayed, local authorities, including Merton, could introduce individual bylaws to impose restrictions in their areas.
- Financial institutions are expected to impose some restrictions on this for administrative purposes.
- Under the original order, unanimity among the judges was not required, even to impose the death penalty.
- He was given a conditional discharge for six months for obstructing the police officer and no separate penalty was imposed for the other charges.
- However, consumer groups argue that banks should not impose such exorbitant penalty charges as they do not reflect the costs incurred when customers exceed borrowing limits.
- 2 [Printing/Imprenta] imponer*
reflexive verb/verbo reflexivo
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- molestar I don't wish to impose, but … no quisiera molestar, pero …to impose
ono uponsb I think I've imposed on him enough already me parece que ya lo he molestado or importunado bastante to impose on sb's generosity/goodwill/hospitality abusar de la generosidad/buena voluntad/hospitalidad de algnMore example sentences
- After all, you had already imposed yourself on them (as it seldom was a her) and to start a conversation where none was offered seemed an unwelcome intrusion.
- How do you deal with people who impose themselves on you?
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
In Central America and Mexico, the word 'botana' means a small portion of food, olives, peanuts etc, usually served with a drink at parties, bars, or social occasions.