Translation of inch in Spanish:
- pulgada (feminine) (2,54 centímetros)two inches of rain/snowdos pulgadas de lluvia/nievecuatro dedos de lluvia/nieve [colloquial]his strength makes up for his lack of incheslo que no tiene en estatura lo compensa en fuerzaI need to lose a few inches around the waisttengo que adelgazar un poco de cinturaI was within an inch of getting that jobestuve a un paso or en un tris de que me dieran el trabajoI've searched every inch of the househe buscado hasta en el último rincón de la casainch by inch (with great attention to detail) the police searched the house inch by inchla policía registró la casa palmo a palmo(slowly) inch by inch the car slid into the riverel coche se deslizó palmo a palmo en el ríohe looked every inch the English aristocratde pies a cabeza parecía el típico aristócrata inglésshe wouldn't budge o give an inchno cedió en lo más mínimogive them an inch and they'll take a mile
no cedió ni un ápice or milímetroles das la mano y te toman or (esp Spain) te cogen el brazoExample sentences
- A meter is about three feet and three inches and a kilometer equals about six tenths of a mile.
- Arriving there, Legrand noted one particular ledge about twelve inches wide and eighteen inches long, several feet below the top of the rock.
- Progress can be slow; you measure it in inches and feet, not miles or kilograms.
- moverse lentamente or paso a pasoto inch forwardavanzar lentamente or paso a pasoto inch outsalir poco a pocoExample sentences
- As I sat on a bus today, inching along in traffic, it became clear to me that all buses should be free.
- Stealthily, you inch along a narrow and foreboding corridor.
- The light was inching along slowly, but it had almost finished its circuit.
- to inch one's wayavanzar lentamentewe are inching our way toward a solutionestamos avanzando lentamente hacia una soluciónExample sentences
- Aleck tried to pull the ring off, by slowly inching it forward and twisting from side to side, but had no luck either.
- They kept begging and pleading with him, but he kept relentlessly inching the vehicle forward.
- Only the edge of her profile was visible, so I inched it forward to get a better view.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.