Translation of independent in Spanish:
adjective→ independent school
- 1 1.1(person/thinker)a person of independent means
independienteuna persona que dispone de rentasI also did some independent readingtambién leí por cuenta propiaindependent
ofsomebody/somethingindependiente dealguien/algoExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (Politics)
- Neddy was a very independent person who lived life quietly in Ballingarry.
- It's hard to go from a very, independent woman to depending on others.
- You think of yourself as independent, you want to be independent, but you depend on Alex more than anyone.
(state/country)Senegal became independent in 1960
- From about the early 1880s he had independent income and so he devoted himself to the problem of flight.
independienteSenegal obtuvo la independencia or se independizó en 1960Example sentences
- The six-country tour will also underpin the fact that the island is a sovereign, independent country, he said.
- Bangladesh later separated from Pakistan and East Timor which at the time was a Portuguese colony but is now an independent country.
- If New Zealand is to develop as a fully independent country we must give all our people equal access to justice, and not just a privileged few.
- When the matter went to Parliament, all political parties supported an independent Complaints Commission.
- Support for independent candidates and smaller parties has also risen, but in the locals rather than the Euro elections.
- The few independent candidates with political potential are quickly recruited by the parties.
- 2 2.1 (not part of larger group)(company/newspaper/candidate)
independienteExample sentences2.2 (not state-run)
- Outside controls or independent reviews could have provided such safeguards.
- There is an area that remains more or less independent of the control of the government.
- These agencies were entrusted with independent legislative authority on a federal level.
privadoExample sentences2.3 (disinterested)
- Academies are independent schools funded by public money.
- The bill would have introduced a public benefit test for independent schools ensuring they prove they offer a benefit to the public and not just fee-payers.
- The Department for Education and Skills said no formal approach had been made by the schools, but it was not government policy to fund independent schools.
- He said the matter deserves an impartial, independent investigation.
- The European Convention on Human Rights demands a fair trial before an independent and impartial tribunal.
- Under such circumstances, how can one ensure a fair and independent investigation?
- 3 (separate, unrelated) by independent routespor distintos caminosto be independent
ofsomethingser independienteindependent clause (Linguistics) dealgooración (feminine) independienteExample sentences
- Sponge cells perform a variety of bodily functions and appear to be more independent of each other than are the cells of other animals.
- If the value of an element is independent of the presence of another element, both elements are said to be independent from each other.
- The different functions can often be assigned to conserved amino acid motifs which are separated into independent structural units.
- 1 (Politics) 1.1 (candidate)Example sentences1.2 (US) (voter)
(votante no afiliado a un partido mayoritario)
- The ten presidential candidates, including independents, were listed in two columns.
- At that time the ruling party captured 193 seats, though many of these candidates ran as independents.
- In 1935, she retired from teaching to stand for Parliament as an independent.
- 2 (Business) (company)compañía (feminine) independienteExample sentences
- In fact, most were published by university presses, the federal government or small independents.
- Hunter claims most of the real talent in Scotland is to be found in the small independents started by people fed up with big company culture.
- In turn, competition has forced the independents to upgrade quality and comfort.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.