Translation of induce in Spanish:
- 1 (persuade, cause) See examples:to induce somebody to +
infinitivewhatever induced him to change his mind?inducir a alguien a+ infinitiveeven fine weather failed to induce him outdoors¿qué lo habrá inducido or llevado a cambiar de opinión?ni siquiera el buen tiempo lo animó a salirExample sentences
- You should receive much more - like 9 per cent - to induce you to move from a riskless to a high-risk investment in stock funds.
- My father tried to induce me to learn Arabic poetry by heart, encouraged me, gave me prizes - also for knowledge in astronomy.
- By inducing us to look for the aesthetic features of things, the sense of beauty attracts us to what is most distinctive and individual in the objects we love.
- Dried hops are soft and sweet smelling with a natural narcotic effect that will induce restful sleep, while lavender flowers and rose petals are refreshingly fragrant.
- This herb has been proven to induce sleep and have a sedative effect, which can help pain sufferers sleep better.
- Cortisol levels can be elevated for a variety of reasons - hardcore training itself can induce this rise.
- 3 (Medicine) 3.1 3.2 they had to induce her (British English) [colloquial]le tuvieron que provocar el partoExample sentences
- There was some concern that babies born during the day are more likely to be preterm or high risk babies who have had induced births.
- This confirms women's views that medical staff may induce a birth to prevent a caesarean section only when the woman is poor.
- The second option is known as a medically induced abortion (or medical induction abortion) and is similar to a late miscarriage.
- 4 (Electricity)(current)Example sentences
- Naturally occurring variations in the Earth's magnetic field induce eddy currents in the Earth that are detectable as electric field variations on the surface.
- According to Faraday's laws of electromagnetic induction, a changing magnetic field can induce electric current to flow in any conductive structure nearby.
- In 1831, Michael Faraday showed that a moving magnet could induce an electric current in a wire - the basis of an electric generator.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Today is Aberri Eguna, Basque national day, and a public holiday in the Basque country of Spain.