Translation of insular in Spanish:
- 1.1 (narrow, parochial) [mentality/environment] cerrado; [person] estrecho de miras, cerrado the students had formed into insular little cliques los estudiantes habían formado grupitos cerradosExample sentences1.2 [Geography/Geografía] [climate] insular; [people] isleño, de las islas
- For all the globalisation of the twenty-first century, we live in a fairly insular society where ‘outside’ opinions are seldom expressed or discussed.
- Though police inhabited an intensely insular culture, they shared one primary reference point with the citizens in whose name they served: the street.
- My emnity is directed at management, which has an odd insular culture that seems utterly unaware of how their decisions affect the customer.
- The peace and quiet of small town America seems to suit the taciturn Finn, but Joe, the loudmouth coffee wagon operator who parks outside Finn's depot, challenges Finn's insular existence.
- As a result, we have become very insular, and my parents in particular have found it difficult to form lasting friendships, or indeed temporary acquaintanceships.
- We, in our society, too frequently place ourselves in insular groups that do not freely talk to one another.
- Shalisa Creek Bay had been settling in for a day of quiet, insular restfulness.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Sherry is produced in an area of chalky soil known as albariza lying between the towns of Puerto de Santa María, Sanlúcar de Barrameda, and Jerez de la Frontera in Cádiz province. It is from Jerez that sherry takes its English name. Sherries, made from grape varieties including Palomino and Pedro Ximénez, are drunk worldwide as an aperitif, and in Spain as an accompaniment to