Translation of interest in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 uncountable/no numerable (felt by person) interés (masculine) her ideas aroused my interest sus ideas despertaron or suscitaron mi interés interest
insb/sth/ -inginterés enalgn/algo/+ infinitive/infinitivoI have no interest in getting to know them no tengo ningún interés en conocerlos, no me interesa conocerlos to lose interest perder* interés to show (an) interest demostrar* interés, mostrarse* interesado to take (an) interest insth/sb interesarse poralgo/algn he took no further interest in the matter dejó de interesarse por el asunto I'm doing it out of interest lo hago porque me interesaExample sentences1.2 countable/numerable (hobby) interés (masculine) his only interest seems to be drinking parece que su único interés es la bebida
- There is great interest and people are learning a classical art form with great enthusiasm and dedication.
- That was certainly of personal interest to me to learn, after having been here some 6 years.
- I appreciate their interest and good wishes, I just keep crying every time I think about it.
- So his interests and his activities outside of Iraq are nothing new.
- You are asked to list recreational interests and activities, membership of clubs and societies.
- He now feels that he is no longer under pressure, as he was in Australia, and can relax and enjoy some other interests and hobbies.
- 2 uncountable/no numerable (possessed by object) interés (masculine) the plot lacks interest al argumento le falta interés I thought this article might be of interest to you me pareció que este artículo podría interesarle or podría serle de interés is this of any interest to you? ¿esto te interesa? it's of little interest to me who did it no me interesa demasiado or no tengo mucho interés en saber quién lo hizo it's a matter of public interest es un asunto de interés públicoExample sentences
- Unless poll results are meant to influence those yet to vote they are of academic or curiosity interest only.
- Perhaps that is why this week there are a number of films of average quality or minority interest.
- The Best of Gay Britain is a boxed set of three full-length features of varying interest and quality.
- 3 countable/numerable 3.1 (stake) participación (feminine), intereses (masculine plural) to have an interest in sth [Business/Comercio] tener* intereses or participación en algo he has a number of business interests abroad tiene varios negocios en el extranjero I have to declare an interest tengo que declarar que soy parte interesada I have a personal interest in seeing that justice is done tengo motivos personales para asegurarme de que se haga justicia she acquired a substantial interest in the company adquirió una parte considerable de las acciones de la empresa to hold a controlling interest [Finance] tener* participación mayoritaria British interests are being looked after by the Italian embassy la embajada italiana se ocupa de los intereses británicos 3.2 (advantage) (often plural/frecuentemente plural) interés (masculine) to serve the interests of the ruling classes servir* a los intereses de las clases gobernantes a conflict of interest(s) un conflicto de intereses you've got to look after your own interest(s) tienes que velar por tus propios intereses to act in sb's interest(s) actuar* en beneficio de algn it's in your own interest(s) to be early te conviene llegar temprano, por tu propio interés deberías llegar temprano it was not in our interest(s) to intervene no nos convenía intervenir in the interests of easing international tension con el fin de relajar la tensión internacional to be against the public interest ir* en perjuicio del interés públicoExample sentences3.3
(interests plural)(lobby) intereses (masculine plural) vested interests intereses creados special interests intereses de determinados gruposExample sentences
- This would not seem to be the noblest form of patriotism, which calls us to look beyond private interests to the public benefit.
- Since people can convince themselves of anything that is to their benefit or is in their interest, this is not surprising.
- The cards have discounts and benefits for the youngsters so it is in their interest to carry them.
- The NRA have come in for strong criticism locally both from landowners affected by the route of the road and various political and business interests.
- The politicians, business interests and journalists that were part of the Indonesian lobby in Australia did use racial stereotyping.
- The Government, business interests and civic organisations need to collaborate in the effort.
- The institute subsequently posted on its website the financial interests of all those involved.
- Apart from the strategic concerns and government revenue at stake, immense corporate interests are involved.
- Proffered concerns about underage drinking are thus merely a stalking horse for the financial interests at stake in these cases.
- 4 uncountable/no numerable [Finance] interés (masculine) simple/compound interest interés simple/compuesto to earn/charge interest of o at five per cent (per annum) percibir/cobrar un interés del cinco por ciento (al año) this bond bears five per cent interest este bono da or [formal] devenga un interés del cinco por ciento to repay sth/sb o to pay sth/sb back with interest he repaid my affection with interest me devolvió con creces el cariño que le había dado they'll pay me back with interest! ¡me las van a pagar con creces! (before noun/delante del nombre) interest charges cargos (masculine plural) por concepto de intereses low-interest/interest-free loans préstamos (masculine plural) a bajo interés/sin interés interest payments abonos (masculine plural) or pagos (masculine plural) de interesesExample sentences
- The bank will not lend money, and interest payments and receipts are forbidden.
- If there is another agency which is lending money at better interest rates and with better conditions, I am ready to shift.
- How much will it cost by the time you have repaid your debt (capital plus interest repayments)?
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- interesar it interests me a great deal me interesa mucho can I interest you in a raffle ticket? ¿le puedo ofrecer un número de rifa?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
The language of the Basque Country and Navarre is euskera, spoken by around 750,000 people; in Spanish vasco or vascuence. It is also spelled euskara. Basque is unrelated to the Indo-European languages and its origins are unclear.