Translation of intervene in Spanish:
- 1.1 (interpose oneself)(government/intermediary)he intervened with the authorities on our behalf
intervenirintervino or [formal] intercedió ante las autoridades en nuestro favor1.2 (interrupt)(fate)
intervenir(event)he was about to continue, but the bell intervened
sobreveniriba a continuar, pero sonó la campanaExample sentences
Example sentences1.3 (elapse) one year intervened before we met again
- He had been going to make the trip, but circumstances intervened.
- Then some external circumstance intervenes - someone close to us dies or we ourselves receive a real scare.
- I don't know if you can understand this, but there were many times in my husband's life when circumstances intervened and helped him.
pasó or transcurrió un año antes de que nos volviéramos a verExample sentences1.4
- My friend then intervened with the verbal equivalent of a good slap across the face by saying things like pull yourself together, man! and for God-sake, shut up!
also: intervening present participlewhat happened in the intervening period?¿qué pasó en el interín or ínterin?in the intervening chaptersen los capítulos intermedios
- And, world class sportspersons they might be, but I bet none of them spent time keeping fit during these six intervening months.
- The low-probability intervening event did eliminate negative priming, but did so by slowing performance in the baseline condition relative to all other conditions.
- It is simply a repugnance on the part of any lawyer to the idea that one can simply take a period in gross at any point and apply it many, many years later to create a right which might be quite inconsistent with intervening events.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.