- 1.1 (interpose oneself) [government/intermediary] intervenir* he intervened with the authorities on our behalf intervino or [formal] intercedió ante las autoridades en nuestro favor 1.2 (interrupt) [fate] interponerse*, intervenir*; [event] sobrevenir* he was about to continue, but the bell intervened iba a continuar, pero sonó la campanaMore example sentences
More example sentences1.3 (elapse) pasar, transcurrir one year intervened before we met again pasó or transcurrió un año antes de que nos volviéramos a ver
- He had been going to make the trip, but circumstances intervened.
- Then some external circumstance intervenes - someone close to us dies or we ourselves receive a real scare.
- I don't know if you can understand this, but there were many times in my husband's life when circumstances intervened and helped him.
More example sentences1.4
- My friend then intervened with the verbal equivalent of a good slap across the face by saying things like pull yourself together, man! and for God-sake, shut up!
(intervening pres p)what happened in the intervening period? ¿qué pasó en el interín or ínterin? in the intervening chapters en los capítulos intermedios
- And, world class sportspersons they might be, but I bet none of them spent time keeping fit during these six intervening months.
- The low-probability intervening event did eliminate negative priming, but did so by slowing performance in the baseline condition relative to all other conditions.
- It is simply a repugnance on the part of any lawyer to the idea that one can simply take a period in gross at any point and apply it many, many years later to create a right which might be quite inconsistent with intervening events.
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Santería is a religious cult, fusing African beliefs and Catholicism, which developed among African Yoruba slaves in Cuba. Followers believe both in a single supreme being and also in orishas, deities who each share an identity with a Christian saint and who combine a force of nature with human characteristics. Rituals involve music, dancing, sacrificial offerings, divination, and going into trances.