- 1.1 (interpose oneself) [government/intermediary] intervenir* he intervened with the authorities on our behalf intervino or [formal] intercedió ante las autoridades en nuestro favor 1.2 (interrupt) [fate] interponerse*, intervenir*; [event] sobrevenir* he was about to continue, but the bell intervened iba a continuar, pero sonó la campanaMore example sentences
More example sentences1.3 (elapse) pasar, transcurrir one year intervened before we met again pasó or transcurrió un año antes de que nos volviéramos a ver
- He had been going to make the trip, but circumstances intervened.
- Then some external circumstance intervenes - someone close to us dies or we ourselves receive a real scare.
- I don't know if you can understand this, but there were many times in my husband's life when circumstances intervened and helped him.
More example sentences1.4
- My friend then intervened with the verbal equivalent of a good slap across the face by saying things like pull yourself together, man! and for God-sake, shut up!
(intervening pres p)what happened in the intervening period? ¿qué pasó en el interín or ínterin? in the intervening chapters en los capítulos intermedios
- And, world class sportspersons they might be, but I bet none of them spent time keeping fit during these six intervening months.
- The low-probability intervening event did eliminate negative priming, but did so by slowing performance in the baseline condition relative to all other conditions.
- It is simply a repugnance on the part of any lawyer to the idea that one can simply take a period in gross at any point and apply it many, many years later to create a right which might be quite inconsistent with intervening events.
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
La movida madrileña is an expression referring to the Madrid social and cultural scene of the late 1970s and early 1980s, and the people involved in it. It was a youth phenomenon based around night spots in the city, such as the now defunct club Rock-Ola. One of the leading lights of the movida was the movie director Pedro Almodóvar.