Translation of irregular in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (in shape, positioning)(outline/surface/pattern)
irregularExample sentences1.2 (in time)
(intervals/pulse)to keep irregular hours
- This irregular arrangement of atoms not only defines a substance as glass, but also determines several of its properties.
- Each panel features an elongated, irregular rectangle painted in acrylic in red, blue or black against a contrasting hue.
- It is not that Thomas deliberately creates irregular shapes.
irregulartener un horario irregularI've been a bit irregular lately [euphemistic]no he ido muy bien de vientre últimamenteExample sentences
- Income can be withdrawn at irregular intervals to suit individual circumstances as long as the payments are in accordance with the above limits.
- The rhythm is irregular, and the rate can vary or become sinus bradycardia because of the long pauses.
- At the northwest corner, three to four people smoked at irregular intervals.
- 2 (contrary to rules)inadmisiblethis is highly irregular
contrario a las normasesto es totalmente inadmisibleit would be most irregular for me to discuss a client with youestaría totalmente fuera de lugar que yo hablara de un cliente con ustedExample sentences
- However, this was found in contradiction of OUSU rules, necessitating an irregular by-election to be held via an extraordinary meeting of the Postgraduate Assembly.
- Indicated if labour is established but the contractions are of irregular intensity or duration.
- The gentle formality of the house contrasts strongly with its irregular context and neighbouring suburban dwellings, but it does have precedents in New Zealand.
- 3 (Linguistics)(verb/ending/plural)
- The questions required knowledge of some words, but also of an irregular verb form and some grammatical terminology.
- In some irregular verbs, these functions are served by different forms.
- Note that ‘to spy’ is always an irregular verb, only the third person form resembles the infinitive.
- 4 (Military)(troops)
- As the theatre of war moved south, so did the smallpox, primarily affecting civilians, camp followers, and irregular troops in both armies.
- Not only did he understand the new tactics, he was also able to put them into practice using a smaller army made up of irregular troops.
- In fact, regular as well as irregular troops opposed the US in many of the conflicts Boot cites.
- 5 (substandard)(American English)
- 1 (Military)soldado (masculine) irregularthe irregularslas tropas irregularesExample sentences
- The Filipino operational center of gravity was the ability to sustain its force of 100,000 irregulars in the field.
- While repeating the Pentagon line that these irregulars were ‘forced to fight,’ Wallace acknowledged indirectly that the US military faces a hostile population.
- Amitav Ghosh spent many weeks, at great personal risk, with the irregulars fighting the military regime in Burma.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.