Translation of island in Spanish:
- 1 (Geography) an island of sanity in the midst of the urban chaosun remanso en medio del caos urbano(before noun) island communities tend to be conservativelas comunidades insulares tienden a ser conservadorashe was welcomed by the island communitylos isleños le dieron la bienvenidaExample sentences
- The water which surrounds the island is a rich fishing ground for tuna and mackerel.
- The world's smallest lizard has been discovered on a tiny Caribbean island off the coast of the Dominican Republic.
- The tiny uninhabited island is in the Sea of Japan halfway between the Korean Peninsula and Japan.
- 2 (in road)Example sentences
- There is ample land available at the eastern end to cater for a proper island and traffic calming zone.
- They have put traffic calming islands in the road, but lorries just swerve round them like juggernauts.
- I'm not talking about speed cameras, but traffic lights, pedestrian islands etc.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.