Translation of island in Spanish:
- 1 [Geography/Geografía] isla (feminine) an island of sanity in the midst of the urban chaos un remanso en medio del caos urbano (before noun/delante del nombre) island communities tend to be conservative las comunidades insulares tienden a ser conservadoras he was welcomed by the island community los isleños le dieron la bienvenidaExample sentences
- The water which surrounds the island is a rich fishing ground for tuna and mackerel.
- The world's smallest lizard has been discovered on a tiny Caribbean island off the coast of the Dominican Republic.
- The tiny uninhabited island is in the Sea of Japan halfway between the Korean Peninsula and Japan.
- 2 (in road) isla (feminine)Example sentences
- There is ample land available at the eastern end to cater for a proper island and traffic calming zone.
- They have put traffic calming islands in the road, but lorries just swerve round them like juggernauts.
- I'm not talking about speed cameras, but traffic lights, pedestrian islands etc.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Browse other language resources
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...