- 1 [Geog] isla (f) an island of sanity in the midst of the urban chaos un remanso en medio del caos urbano (before n) island communities tend to be conservative las comunidades insulares tienden a ser conservadoras he was welcomed by the island community los isleños le dieron la bienvenidaMore example sentences
- The water which surrounds the island is a rich fishing ground for tuna and mackerel.
- The world's smallest lizard has been discovered on a tiny Caribbean island off the coast of the Dominican Republic.
- The tiny uninhabited island is in the Sea of Japan halfway between the Korean Peninsula and Japan.
- 2 (in road) isla (f)More example sentences
- There is ample land available at the eastern end to cater for a proper island and traffic calming zone.
- They have put traffic calming islands in the road, but lorries just swerve round them like juggernauts.
- I'm not talking about speed cameras, but traffic lights, pedestrian islands etc.
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Sanfermines (The festival of San Fermín) is from 6th-14th July and el encierro (the 'running of the bulls'), takes place in Pamplona in northern Spain. The animals are released into the barricaded streets and people run in front of them, in honor of the town´s patron saint, San Fermín, who was put to death by being dragged by bulls.