- 1 [Geography/Geografía] isla (feminine) an island of sanity in the midst of the urban chaos un remanso en medio del caos urbano (before noun/delante del nombre) island communities tend to be conservative las comunidades insulares tienden a ser conservadoras he was welcomed by the island community los isleños le dieron la bienvenidaMore example sentences
- The water which surrounds the island is a rich fishing ground for tuna and mackerel.
- The world's smallest lizard has been discovered on a tiny Caribbean island off the coast of the Dominican Republic.
- The tiny uninhabited island is in the Sea of Japan halfway between the Korean Peninsula and Japan.
- 2 (in road) isla (feminine)More example sentences
- There is ample land available at the eastern end to cater for a proper island and traffic calming zone.
- They have put traffic calming islands in the road, but lorries just swerve round them like juggernauts.
- I'm not talking about speed cameras, but traffic lights, pedestrian islands etc.
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
The Senado is the name of the upper chamber of the Spanish Cortes Generales, and the place where it meets. There are 250 senators, most of whom are elected every four years, at general elections, four from each province. A small number of senators are also elected by the autonomous governments.