n (plural -muses)
- 1 [Geography/Geografía] istmo (masculine) the Isthmus of Corinth el istmo de CorintoMore example sentences
- Land routes are really old, especially through isthmuses.
- The British arrived almost a century ago to build the railroad that slices across the isthmus, linking the Gulf of Mexico to the Pacific Ocean.
- Only one study to date has used calibration points from the fossil record to estimate the divergence of sister species distributed on both sides of the isthmus.
- 2 [Anatomy/Anatomía] istmo (masculine)More example sentences
- Thoracic aortic injuries most often occur at the aortic isthmus in the majority of the cases.
- It has 2 lobes, called the right lobe and the left lobe, joined by a narrow isthmus.
- The cervix forms the lower third, connected by a narrow isthmus to the main muscular body of the uterus.
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
The Basque autonomous police force is called Ertzaintza. Its members, called ertzainas, wear a uniform of red sweaters and berets, and white jackets. Despite the Ertzaintza's wide range of responsibilities, the Guardia Civil and Policía Nacional still operate in the Basque Country.