Translation of isthmus in Spanish:
noun/nombre (plural -muses)
- 1 [Geography/Geografía] istmo (masculine) the Isthmus of Corinth el istmo de CorintoExample sentences
- Land routes are really old, especially through isthmuses.
- The British arrived almost a century ago to build the railroad that slices across the isthmus, linking the Gulf of Mexico to the Pacific Ocean.
- Only one study to date has used calibration points from the fossil record to estimate the divergence of sister species distributed on both sides of the isthmus.
- 2 [Anatomy/Anatomía] istmo (masculine)Example sentences
- Thoracic aortic injuries most often occur at the aortic isthmus in the majority of the cases.
- It has 2 lobes, called the right lobe and the left lobe, joined by a narrow isthmus.
- The cervix forms the lower third, connected by a narrow isthmus to the main muscular body of the uterus.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Radio broadcasting in Spain began in the 1920s. The state-run Radio Nacional de España (RNE) was established during the Civil War. There are many private radio stations and they compete fiercely. Radio personalities are paid huge salaries, out of which they employ the staff for their programs.