- 1(replacing noun — as direct object)lo, (la)(— as indirect object)(— as subject, after prep) (gen not translated)it's enormousthere's nothing behind/on top of ites enormedon't sign itno hay nada detrás/encimasign itno lo/la firmesI gave it another coat of paintfírmalo/fírmalastop it!le di otra mano de pinturaI don't understand it¡ya está bien!¡basta!it's all liesno lo entiendodamn/blast it!son todas mentiras¡maldita sea! [colloquial]Example sentences
- The great thing about an event like this is that it involves people from all walks of life and there is a real sense of camaraderie.
- Mrs. Henderson walked into the room holding a tray with his breakfast on it.
- But one voice truly stood out - and it did not belong to any of the private school pupils in the show.
- When it gets cold in Chicago, the snow way up to my knees, I still wear my sandals.
- It was now past ten o'clock.
- I hear it might snow tonight.
- 2 (introducing person, thing, event) See examples: who is it?it's me¿quién es?it's Billsoy yoit was you, wasn't it?es Billwhat is it you want me to do?fuiste tú ¿no?while you're at it¿qué es lo que quieres que haga?don't worry, I'll see to it it's his attitude that I don't likeya que estás (en ello)it was a dress, not a blouse she boughtsu actitud es lo que no me gustaa little higher up … that's it!fue un vestido, no una blusa lo que compróone more and that's itun poco más arriba … ¡ahí está! or ¡eso es!he's very ambitious — that's just it!uno más y ya está or se acabóthat's it, thenes muy ambicioso — ¡precisamente ahí está el problema!
- 3 (in impersonal constructions) See examples: it's good to see youit's raining/snowingda gusto verteit's hot/coldestá lloviendo/nevandoit's two o'clockhace calor/fríohow long is it since we met?son las dosit's been five years since I saw you¿cuánto hace que nos conocimos?it would appear sohace cinco años que no te veoit says here that …así or eso pareceit is known/said/believed that …aquí dice que …se sabe/dice/cree que …
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Browse other language resources
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Cultural fact of the day
Today is Aberri Eguna, Basque national day, and a public holiday in the Basque country of Spain.