Translation of jaw in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 mandíbula (feminine); (esp of animal) quijada (feminine) the lower/upper jaw el maxilar inferior/superior his jaw dropped se quedó boquiabiertoExample sentences1.2
(jaws plural)fauces (feminine plural) the jaws of death las garras de la muerte to pluck o snatch victory from the jaws of defeat ganar cuando todo parece estar perdido 1.3 (of tool) mordaza (feminine)Example sentences
- In others, the way the upper and lower jaws meet can cause teeth to look unsightly and lead to an incorrect bite. Orthodontic treatment may be able to correct this.
- Full dentures are needed when there are no teeth left in the upper or lower jaw.
- Ruminants also lack incisors in the upper jaw, and most lack canines in the upper jaw as well.
- Cover the jaws of wrenches or vices with electrician's tape.
- Finally, the bucking pipe is gripped by the mechanical jaws of a massive clamp.
- Make sure the jaws of the wrench or pliers are snug in position before you manipulate the handle, to avoid slippage or scraped knuckles.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo[colloquial/familiar] [dated/anticuado]
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Havana, Cuba has three daily newspapers. The best known is Granma(www.granma.cubaweb.cu), official newspaper of the Cuban Communist Party. Trabajadores is published by the Cuban trade union movement, and the more lively Juventud Rebelde is aimed at a younger readership.