Translation of jaw in Spanish:
- 1 1.1(esp of animal) quijada (feminine)the lower/upper jawel maxilar inferior/superiorhis jaw droppedse quedó boquiabiertoExample sentences1.2
also: jaws pluralthe jaws of deathlas garras de la muerteto pluck o snatch victory from the jaws of defeatganar cuando todo parece estar perdido1.3 (of tool)Example sentences
- In others, the way the upper and lower jaws meet can cause teeth to look unsightly and lead to an incorrect bite. Orthodontic treatment may be able to correct this.
- Full dentures are needed when there are no teeth left in the upper or lower jaw.
- Ruminants also lack incisors in the upper jaw, and most lack canines in the upper jaw as well.
- Cover the jaws of wrenches or vices with electrician's tape.
- Finally, the bucking pipe is gripped by the mechanical jaws of a massive clamp.
- Make sure the jaws of the wrench or pliers are snug in position before you manipulate the handle, to avoid slippage or scraped knuckles.
intransitive verb[colloquial] [dated]
- 1 (talk) [pejorative]darle a la sinhueso [colloquial]cotorrear [colloquial]Example sentences
- Most evenings as I'm coming home from work, Steve is out in front of the store, jawing with anyone who'll give him a minute of his or her time, cussing up a storm, flirting with all the women, and exhorting everyone to go in and buy stuff.
- I sit here jawing while Pavel enriches the world through his generous work.
- Chesterton once observed that it was always perilous to talk politics with women because of the imminent danger that they would want to do something about it and not just go on jawing as men do.
- 2 (chat)charlar [colloquial]
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.