Translation of jealous in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (fearing rivalry) [husband/lover] celoso to get jealous ponerse* celoso he does it to make you jealous lo hace para que te pongas celosa in a jealous rage en un arrebato de celos to be jealous
ofsb estar* celoso dealgn, tener* celos dealgn 1.2 (envious) [person/nature] envidioso don't you feel jealous when you see … ? ¿no te da envidia ver …? you're only jealous! ¡lo que tienes es envidia! to be jealous ofsth envidiar algo to be jealous ofsb tenerle* envidia aalgnExample sentences
- They were much more intelligent than we were, and quite frankly, we were jealous of their achievements.
- By our very nature, we are selfish, jealous, envious, stricken with strife, and sometimes downright rebellious.
- It would be selfish to be jealous of him, and I could truthfully say I wasn't.
- We stopped sleeping together, but when Hanna got a new boyfriend I was jealous for the first time ever.
- A jealous husband broke a man's nose because he thought someone was ‘ogling’ his wife.
- Also, she had been asked to join study groups, but the husband was jealous, and forbade her from meeting with other students.
- 2 (protective) to be jealous
ofsth ser* celoso dealgoExample sentences
- Mr Dallas said Edmunds was possessive and jealous of Miss Lawrance and took the view that if he could not have her then no one else would.
- He was too possessive of her, she was too jealous of him.
- It means that he cares enough about you and your relationship that he is getting jealous and protective of you.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
A patera is a boat with a shallow draft, used by illegal immigrants, known as balseros, to cross the Straits of Gibraltar from Morocco to southern Spain.