- 1(American English) [colloquial] (toilet)Example sentences
- Every one of the eight guest rooms has its own john and shower, and there's a raised open-air common kitchen and sitting room.
- Other symbolism occurs as well, such as almost all the johns being named John, along with the star and two other characters.
- The Mississippi also had trough type urinals and unwalled johns in the heads, and salt water showers.
- 2(American English) [slang] (prostitute's client)Example sentences
- Despite the widespread belief of my older johns that all prostitutes were lesbians and vice versa, I found little overlap of those two communities.
- The real enemies, for Ross, aren't the johns or the violent clients, or even the police, but feminists and government aid staff.
- The answer seems to depend on who is being scrutinised - the prostitute or the john.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
A portero is a superintendent in an apartment building who looks after it, keeps it clean, delivers mail, and keeps an eye on comings and goings. Porteros often have an apartment in the building as part of their pay. The portero, and particularly the female portera, are part of popular culture. They have a reputation for being inquisitive and fond of gossip.