Translation of joint in Spanish:
- 1 (Anatomy) his shoulder was out of jointtenía el hombro dislocadothe blow put her elbow out of jointse le dislocó el codo con el golpe→ nose 1 1Example sentences
- The soft tissue structures around the joint play a vital role in the stability of the shoulder.
- The shoulder is a ball and socket joint and the most mobile joint in the human body.
- Her right leg is wasted and her knee joint is swollen, shiny and huge in comparison to the other.
- You want to be able to get the distal joint of your trigger finger onto the trigger.
- Cut at an angle to create shapes the length of the first joint of your index finger.
- 2 (Constr) 2.1 (point of joining) 2.2 (part that joins)Example sentences
- After old caulk is removed, new caulk can then be applied to all joints in the window frame and the joint between the frame and the wall.
- Or, you can seal the joint with duct tape placed lengthwise all along the seams and end joints.
- For outdoor use, most manufacturers recommend that the joints be sealed with a non-acidic silicone glue.
- Thanks to a new joint and crossbar arrangement for the car's load-bearing structure, the bodyshell stiffness is increased by 25 percent over its predecessor.
- He soon knew every inch of the 1400 parts of the bridge and spent years filing the multitude of dovetail joints which hold the construction together.
- 3 (Cookery)a joint of lamb/porkun trozo de cordero/cerdo (para asar)the Sunday jointel asado del domingoExample sentences
- Jane was in the kitchen cooking a joint of beef ready for when Daddy got home.
- For me, an ideal meal would be a joint of lamb cooked in the Aga at home, with plenty of fresh vegetables from my garden.
- It's Christmas, the joint of beef is on trial, and you are about to make the best gravy of your life.
- 4 (place) [colloquial]this is a crummy jointesto es un antro or un tugurio de mala muerte [colloquial]don't wreck the joint!¡no hagan destrozos!nice joint you've got here
¡no me tiren la casa ( or el bar etc) abajo!no está mal tu casa ( or apartamento etc)Example sentences
- As the number of entertainment joints in the resort has skyrocketed in the last three years, punters are increasingly choosy.
- But such attention to detail seemed to clash with a laminated menu, which made me think of tacky burger joints and sad little cafes.
- Bloggers are blessedly uninfected by the musty Establishmentarian Air that permeates joints like Elaine's.
- 5 (of marijuana) [colloquial]porro (masculine) [slang]
churro (masculine) (Central America) [colloquial]
canuto (masculine) (Spain) [slang]
toque (masculine) (Mexico) [slang]
varillo (masculine) (Colombia) [slang]
pito (masculine) (Chile) [slang]Example sentences
- Many of the anti-dope medical trials have been totally flawed because they focused on people smoking cannabis joints containing tobacco.
- Here a man was sent to jail for possessing enough cannabis to make 2 joints.
- I felt the best thing to do would be to learn to roll joints, and buy my own cannabis.
- 6the joint (prison) (American English) [colloquial]la cárcel
la chirona (feminine) (Spain) [colloquial]
el bote (Mexico) (Venezuela) [colloquial]
la cana (South America) [colloquial]
la guandoca (Colombia) [colloquial]
adjective before noun
- 1.1(action/decision/initiative)they are joint heirs
conjuntoson coherederosjoint first prizeprimer premio compartidoit was a joint effortfue un trabajo de equipo or realizado en conjuntothey came joint secondllegaron juntos en segundo lugarjoint authorcoautor, (-tora) (masculine, feminine)joint committee joint interest joint ownercopropietario, (-ria) (masculine, feminine)joint partnerco-socio, (-cia) (masculine, feminine)1.2 (combined) the joint influence of heredity and environmentla influencia del medio ambiente conjuntamente con or sumada a la de la herenciaour joint resources amount to …en conjunto disponemos de …Example sentences
- The joint statement specifically named Taiwan as a mutual security concern for the first time.
- Make joint custody a reality instead of a meaningless scrap of paper.
- Mr. Ladisa seeks an order for joint custody of all three of his children.
cortar en trozos or (especially Latin America) en presas(lamb)
- The jointed body was pinned to itself in a sort of fold.
- Having found a butcher to joint it we started to skin it but we then discovered its problems - a missing front foot and a stinking gangrenous shoulder.
- If cattle are removed at jointing, there will be very little yield loss.
- Other dolls, Lily and Jane, made in Germany, had jointed arms and legs, eyelashes, eyes that opened and shut and real hair.
- Made of 2in-thick slabs of precisely jointed oak, it spirals up, entirely self-supporting, without even a central pillar.
- The students rev faster as we thump across the unevenly jointed highway.
- Be certain that the edges are properly jointed with no space between the boards.
- As I set about planing, jointing, gluing and sanding the pieces, I also began a creative argument with the wood.
- The timbers are often cut and dressed by hand, jointed and interlocked in the traditional way, and fastened throughout with wood pegs.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.