Translation of kite in Spanish:
- 1 (toy)cometa (feminine)go fly a kite! (US) [colloquial]
(Río de la Plata also) barrilete (masculine)
(Central America) (Cuba) (Mexico) papalote (masculine)
papagayo (masculine) (Venezuela)
volantín (masculine) (Chile)¡vete a freír espárragos! [colloquial]to be as high as a kite [colloquial]estar totalmente colocado or volado [colloquial]estar hasta atrás (Mexico) [colloquial]to fly a kite(test reaction) tantear el terreno(lit) hacer volar una cometa
volar un papalote (Central America) (Cuba) (Mexico) or (Venezuela) un papagayo
encumbrar una cometa (Colombia) or (Chile) un volantín
remontar un barrilete (Río de la Plata)Example sentences
- Despite one close call when it dropped so far that the line briefly got caught in the branches of a tree, I kept the kite airborne for the best part of half an hour.
- Alex said that when he was about six, he remembers hiking to the top of a mountain with his grandparents and flying kites with his grandfather.
- Small children ran about with kites or pet dogs, their nannies close behind.
- 2 (bird)Example sentences
- Initially, they could not figure out if the bird was a kite or an eagle.
- He claims the kites interact with pheasants without any problems, and many gamekeepers in the area are supportive of the birds.
- Proponents claimed that the improved stork habitat would benefit the kites as well, which also frequented that area.
- (US) to kite a checkpresentar un cheque sin fondosExample sentences
- Prosecutors haven't revealed how he was tracked down, but as part of the plea deal they agreed not to prosecute the former fed for kiting checks through his Bank of America account while a fugitive.
- When the inter-bank settlement system temporarily fails to clear transactions banks are effectively ‘bouncing or kiting checks’ to each other.
- He was up to his ears in debt - always kiting checks before payday.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.