Translation of knacker in Spanish:
- 1.1 (of horses)matarife (masculine) de caballosit's for the knacker's yardestá para la basuraExample sentences1.2 (of ships)
desguazador, (-dora) (masculine, feminine)
- The intention would be to have dead animals collected from farms by the local knacker man and then sent for rendering.
- ‘In the Fall’ tells of an old horse being sold to the knacker by a family who lack the means to feed it through another winter and who need the pittance it will bring.
- He explains that there was a mistake - the vet had just bought the van from the knacker and had not yet painted out the old name.
transitive verb(British English) [colloquial]
- 1.1 (exhaust)dejar hecho polvo [colloquial]1.2 (ruin)hacer polvo [colloquial]
cargarse (Spain) [colloquial]
hacer bolsa (River Plate area) [colloquial]Example sentences
- And after last night's shenanigans I'm absolutely knackered.
- Bless him, by this point it was about quarter to two in the morning and he was knackered so I forgive him for being a bit confused.
- I had every intention of arriving early and leaving early as it was a ‘school night’ and I was knackered after quite a few late nights at work.
- My windscreen wipers are knackered and it's snowing buckets.
- The teaching job really knackered my confidence.
- When I work a 12 hour day, without a break, like today, the last thing I want to find at the end of it is that my bloody phone handset is knackered.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.