- (Zoology) to be up o rise with the larklevantarse al cantar el gallo→ happy 1 1
levantarse de madrugadaExample sentences
- In addition to communicating through song, larks will raise the crest of feathers in their head during agonistic and courtship displays.
- For example, several lineages typically excluded from the nine-primaried oscines do have nine functional primaries per wing (e.g. larks and wagtails).
- While I was out in the desert I watched a crested lark hovering about 100 feet off the ground singing its heart out.
- Many, in times past, closely observed the movements of the bog lark, a bird you don't see that much nowadays.
- And then, when I got there, still without seeing the meadow lark, there was a verdant patch of wild valerian basking in the sun and another corner with another patch of sunlight a little further on.
- Horned larks appear to come into the Hamlet to feed on grit and seeds.
noun(British English) [colloquial]
- 1 (bit of fun) (no plural) what a lark¡qué divertido!they think that's a great lark
¡qué plato! (Latin America) [colloquial]
¡qué cachondeo! (Spain) [colloquial]
¡qué relajo! (Mexico) [colloquial]se creen que eso es de lo más divertidoto do something for a larkhacer algo por divertirse or de bromaExample sentences
- The DVD comes in a huge box that's about twice the size of any DVD set you could name (overcompensating perhaps?) and it's got quite a few extras that might even entice prudes to buy it for a lark.
- At the now locked gates he meets twins Isabelle and Theo, who promptly invite him home to meet their parents for a lark.
- Apparently some of the stages will be near by (in Portmore), who knows, maybe I'll go and watch them for a lark.
- 2 (activity)I'm too old for this larkyo ya no estoy para estos trotes [colloquial]I'm fed up with this camping larkestoy harto de toda esta historia del camping [colloquial]blow o stuff this for a lark! [slang]¡ya estoy harto or hasta la coronilla de esto! [colloquial]Example sentences
- The consensus was that there had to be something in this astrology lark, and what did I know, I'm only an astronomy graduate.
- It's basically a working-class mindset, he said: ‘This showbiz lark can't last.’
- It all seems so simple from this perspective. I could get used to this evil genius lark.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.