- 1 1.1 (of group, movement, political party) líder (mf), dirigente (mf); (of expedition) jefe, -fa (m,f); (of gang) cabecilla (mf), jefe, -fa (m,f) the leaders of the demo were … la manifestación iba encabezada por … the country's political and spiritual leaders las autoridades políticas y religiosas del país the union leaders los dirigentes del sindicato the leaders of the rebellion los cabecillas de la rebelión the Leader of the Opposition (in (UK) ) el líder de la oposición the party lacks a strong leader el partido carece de un líder fuerte leader for the defence (BrE) [Law] abogado, -da (m,f) principal de la defensa, leader of the pack (person) cabecilla (mf) de la banda (animal) cabeza (f) de la manada leader of the orchestra (conductor) (AmE) director, -tora (m,f) (de orquesta) (first violin) (BrE) primer violín (mf), concertino (m) 1.2 (in race, competition) primero, -ra (m,f); (in league) líder (m), puntero (m) she couldn't keep up with the leaders no podía mantenerse al ritmo de los que iban en cabeza the Nationals are the leaders los Nacionales van a la cabeza or en cabeza a leader of fashion un árbitro de la moda this product is the world/market leader este producto es el líder mundial/del mercado
- 2 (BrE) [Journ] editorial (m) (before n) leader writer editorialista (mf)More example sentences
- Newspapers have leaders or editorials or whatever they call them where you live, but not poetry.
- In leaders and news reports, the paper's editors and reporters ignore the unsustainable nature of endless economic growth on a finite planet.
- Today the Guardian newspaper even featured blogging in its editorial leader column.
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Santería is a religious cult, fusing African beliefs and Catholicism, which developed among African Yoruba slaves in Cuba. Followers believe both in a single supreme being and also in orishas, deities who each share an identity with a Christian saint and who combine a force of nature with human characteristics. Rituals involve music, dancing, sacrificial offerings, divination, and going into trances.