Translation of leak in Spanish:
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- 1.1 [bucket/tank] gotear, perder* (River Plate area/Río de la Plata) , salirse* (Chile) (Mexico/México) ; [shoes/tent] dejar pasar el agua; [tap] gotear the pipe leaks la cañería pierde agua ( or aire etc), hay un escape en la cañería the roof is leaking hay una gotera/hay goteras en el techo, entra agua por el tejado this pen leaks esta pluma pierde tintaExample sentences1.2 (escape) [liquid] escaparse, salirse* water had leaked through the ceiling había entrado agua por el techo
- Salvage and rescue workers who were rushed to the scene said one of the sunken acid containers was slowly leaking into the river.
- The upended containers leaked, but they held together.
- I got to work this morning and found that my lunch box had leaked into my bag, and there was pesto sauce from my pasta salad coating the inside of the bag.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1.1 [liquid/gas] perder*, botar (Latin America except River Plate area/América Latina excepto Río de la Plata) the car was leaking oil el coche perdía aceite 1.2 [information] filtrar the report was leaked to the press filtraron el informe a la prensaExample sentences
- The next three days were dominated by stories about the merits of the broadcast and who leaked information about the girl's family and not, as Labour had hoped, on general health issues.
- He said it was his hope ‘that we will witness a grand jury investigation with reporters present being asked to reveal who is leaking this information’.
- Information was leaked to the press at the time of the shooting, indicating that the Brazilian had behaved in such a way as to encourage the police in their belief that he was a terrorist.
- He warned that the fetid water could spread disease and that natural gas was leaking all over town.
- This is from where, on the night of December 3, 1984, tons of poisonous gas leaked.
- The people who are left out in this system are like canaries that miners took with them; if poisonous gas were leaking into the mine, the canaries would sicken.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
The Premios Goya del cine español is the Spanish equivalent of Oscars, awarded in January every year by the AACC (Academia de las Artes y las Ciencias Cinematográficas de España). The winners receive a bust of the painter Goya.