- 1 1.1 (go away from) she leaves home/the office at 6sale de casa/la oficina a las 6what time did you leave their house?¿a qué hora te fuiste or (especially Spain) te marchaste de su casa?the plane left Rome at 10el avión salió de Roma a las 10I left her reading a bookla dejé leyendo un libromay I leave the table?¿puedo levantarme de la mesa?may I leave the room? [euphemistic]¿puedo ir al baño?what are you going to do when you leave school?¿qué vas a hacer cuando termines el colegio?he left school at 16dejó or abandonó los estudios a los 16 añosshe left home at the age of 17se fue de casa a los 17 añosshe's left that addressya no vive ahíhe never left her sideno se apartó de su lado en ningún momentothe train left the railsel tren descarriló1.2 (withdraw from)(profession/organization/politics)to leave something
forsomethingdejar algo poralgoExample sentences
- Robin leaves the School in the autumn after sixteen years to retire in South West France, with his wife, Verna.
- Yup, they are singing my praises now that I am leaving high school and going to college.
- After leaving primary school he went to Norwood College, a public school at Sedbergh not far from Kendal.
- 2 (abandon)(wife/family)she left her husband for another man
dejardejó a su marido por otro (hombre)I left the car and continued on footdejé el coche y continué a piehe was left for dead they left him to die in the desertlo abandonaron a su suerte en el desiertoExample sentences
- Fathers prefer boys to such an extent that if they only had girls, they were more likely to leave their wife or partner.
- Worse, eight out of ten find a PC failure more stressful than being left by their partner.
- One woman phoned us to say she would leave but her partner threatened to do to her what he did to his wife if she did.
- 3 3.1 (deposit in specified place) I'm sure I left it on the tableestoy segura de que lo dejé sobre la mesashe left the child with her motherdejó al niño con su madreleave your key at receptiondeje la llave en recepciónExample sentences3.2 (leave behind for somebody) would you like to leave a message?
¿quiere dejar un recado?to leave something
- He was further outraged when he found the bag, left by refuse collectors, had no air holes in it.
- Right, I leave myself notes in the text bit of my phone if I've not got a notepad with me.
- Steve's tears were gone by the time he fell asleep, and Jude broke her calm for only a second to leave herself a mental note.
forsomebodydejarle algoI left a note for him aalguienle dejé una notaI left my card with his secretaryle dejé mi tarjeta a su secretaria3.3 (not take)Example sentences3.4 (forget)
olvidarse deI left my money at home!
- You must go online or risk being left behind in the Internet Age, they are warned.
- The independent sector was not left behind in the celebration of new heights being reached yesterday.
- Since she was young, it may be that both ovaries were left behind at the time of hysterectomy.
dejarse [colloquial]¡dejé el dinero en casa!3.5 (not eat)(food)if you don't like it, leave it
dejarsi no te gusta, déjaloExample sentences
- Any sum that happens to be left over when a child reaches maturity is not liable to tax.
- The four cards that are left over at the end of the deal are set aside until the end of the hand.
- This compromise gives more certainty that more money will be left over for residents in the two areas.
- 4 4.1 (allow, cause to remain) leave it in the oven a little longerdéjalo en el horno un poco másyou left the phone off the hookdejaste el teléfono descolgadoplease leave the window open/door closedpor favor dejen la ventana abierta/la puerta cerradashe leaves her things all over the placedeja or va dejando sus cosas por todas parteshe left me waiting there for an hourme tuvo ahí una hora esperandoshe left her meal untouchedno probó la comidathey left the work half finisheddejaron el trabajo a medio hacersome things are better left unsaides mejor callar or no decir ciertas cosaslet's leave it at that for nowdejémoslo así por ahorawhere did we leave things last time we talked?¿en qué quedamos la última vez que hablamos?Example sentences
Example sentences4.2 (cause to be, have) it left me/I was left with nothing to do
- Additionally, if you leave an empty non-stick pan on a hot burner too long, you can roast the surface.
- More commonly some material is left behind and only when it is removed surgically will bleeding cease.
me dejó/me quedé sin nada que hacerExample sentences
- We concentrate on phosphorus as the nutrient that is biolimiting on geological time scales and potentially leaves a complete geological record.
- The fourth walking appendage usually leaves the most lasting trace.
- It chews its feet throughout the interview, leaving a damp doggy stain on the carpet.
- If at the time of her death, a widow leaves no eligible minor child, the payment of her share of the pension will cease.
- As well as her parents and sister, she leaves a niece Kim and nephew Josh.
- He leaves wife Norma, children Lee, Jesse and Caitlin, and grandkids Mathew, Jordon, Jamie and Emma.
- I am not sure if the position we are left with here truly counts as being a religious one or not.
- She was left with terrible injuries.
- The psychiatrist says there is nothing he can do and the carer is left with no avenue open to him but to keep on caring the best way he can.
- 6 6.1 (not attend to, postpone) leave the dishes for laterdeja los platos para más tardeExample sentences6.2 (not disturb or interfere) leave me alone/in peace!
¡déjame tranquilo/en paz!I was about to start cooking — I'll leave you to it, theniba a ponerme a cocinar — bueno, pues te dejoI didn't want to interfere, so I left them to itno quise meterme, así que dejé que se las arreglaran or se las compusieran solosI'll leave you to your bookte dejo con tu libroto leave something/somebody to +
- It is is irrelevant to his day job as party leader and I think he could have left it to someone else.
- The article leaves it to the imagination how exactly the leftover bees in the cavity are to be killed.
- But there is nothing inconsistent about leaving it to the states and not overturning the decision.
infinitivedejar algo/a alguien +leave her to finish on her own infinitiveor que+ subjunctivedéjala terminar or que termine sola→ alone 1 1 2Example sentences
- She got over it with tickles and biscuits, then strolled out into the garden, leaving me to deal with a spider the size of a cricket ball on the carpet in the lounge.
- Teen years leave you to deal with a whole new choice of decisions to be made.
- How dare he leave me to deal with everything, including his death, while I have to stay stuck in this body?
- 7 7.1 (entrust)to leave something
tosomebody/somethingI always leave the driving to someone elsesiempre dejo que otro maneje or (Spain) conduzcaleave it to me!¡déjalo por mi cuenta!I'll leave it up to you to choose the colorte dejo a ti la elección del colornow it is left to them to take the lead
el color corre por tu cuentaahora les toca a ellos tomar la iniciativawe must leave nothing to chanceno debemos dejar nada (librado) al azar7.2 (allow, cause somebody to do) the teacher left us with a lot to doel profesor nos dejó mucho trabajohe left us with all the cleaning to donos dejó toda la limpieza a nosotrosto leave somebody to +
infinitivedejarhe left his secretary to make the arrangements quealguien + subjunctivedejó que su secretaria hiciera los preparativos
- 8 8.1 (Mathematics)6 from 10 leaves 4si a 10 le quitamos 6, quedan 48.2 (after deduction, elimination) that only leaves you and mecon eso solo quedamos tú y yothere's only me left at homeen casa solo quedo yoto be left there isn't much food/money/time leftno queda mucha comida/mucho dinero/mucho tiempohow much money/time do I/we have left?¿cuánto dinero/tiempo me/nos queda?to leave much/a lot to be desireddejar mucho/bastante que desear8.3 (make available) leave a spacedeja un espacioleave some cake for medéjame un poco de pastelI was left with only $200me quedaron solo 200 dólaresyou leave me no alternative but to resignno me deja otra alternativa que dimitirthere's nothing left for it but to give inno queda más remedio que ceder
- irsewe'll leave when the rain stops
marcharse (especially Spain)nos iremos cuando pare de lloverthe train/plane leaves at 5 o'clockel tren/avión sale a las 5 en puntoto leave
forsomethingsalirhe's already left for the airport paraalgoya ha salido para el aeropuertoExample sentences
- As they came to the end of their set they left the Academy to masses of cheers.
- A young college teacher leaves China for the United States in search of a better future.
- An engineering locomotive came off the tracks as it was leaving Chiswick Park Station just after midnight on Saturday morning.
- 1.1 (not take or bring) 1.2 (forget)
- 1verb + adverb, verb + preposition + object (discontinue) I just carried on where she had left off
- 1verb + object + adverb, verb + adverb + object, verb + object + adverb (+ preposition + object) 1.1 (omit) she left out all reference to her mother
- tomorrow we can eat what's left over
dejar de ladoleaving aside for the moment the question of …
dejando de lado de momento la cuestión de …
olvidarse de1.3 (abandon)
(pass) (suburbs/valley)I've left all that behind (me)
todo eso ya es cosa del pasado1.4 (in race, at school)
ya he superado todo eso
ya he superado todo eso
(opponent/classmate)slow learners get left behind
los niños con problemas de aprendizaje se quedan atrás or rezagados
lo que hice fue continuar con su trabajothis book continues where the last one left off
este libro retoma el hilo del anteriorwhere did we leave off last time?
¿dónde quedamos la última vez?leave off! [colloquial]
¡basta ya!we left off work at four
dejamos or interrumpimos el trabajo a las cuatroto leave off
dejar or pararhe never left off nagging all day
de + infinitive
no dejó or paró de rezongar en todo el día2verb + object + preposition + object (not include)
no incluirhis name was left off the list
no se incluyó su nombre en la lista3verb + object + adverb 3.1 (not switch on)
(light)3.2 (not wear)
(light/machine/television)1.2 (keep wearing)
dejar encendido or (in Latin America also) prendido
dejar encendido or (in Latin America also) prendido
no quitarseI left my coat on
no me quité el abrigo
me quedé con el abrigo puesto
me quedé con el abrigo puesto
omitió toda alusión a su madreit won't taste right if you leave out the garlic
no va a quedar bien si no le pones ajo1.2 (exclude)
excluirhe was left out of her will
lo excluyó de su testamentoshe feels left out
se siente excluida1.3 (not involve)to leave somebody out
no meter a alguienleave her/Mary out of this!
¡no la metas/no metas a Mary en esto!2verb + object + adverb 2.1 (leave outside)
dejar fuera or (especially Latin America) afuera2.2 (not put away)
(clothes/toys)2.3 (leave available)
dejar preparadoI've left some work out for him
le he dejado trabajo preparado
mañana podemos comer lo que sobre or quedeleave a bit of cloth over for the pocket
deja or guarda un trozo de tela para el bolsillowe have some fireworks left over from last year
tenemos or nos quedaron algunos fuegos artificiales del año pasadoshe's like something left over from the sixties
es como una reliquia or un fósil de los años sesenta [humorous]
- 1 uncountable and countable (authorized absence) he asked for one year's leave of absencepidió un año de permiso or (especially Latin America) de licencia or (Spain) de excedenciamaternity/paternity leavepermiso ( or licencia etc) por maternidad/paternidadto take a week's leavetomarse una semana de permiso or (especially Latin America) de licenciato be/go on leaveestar/salir de permiso or (especially Latin America) de licenciaExample sentences
- Requests for consecutive years of leave of absence shall be for the reasons provided in this policy.
- You are not allowed to enroll full-time in another university while on a leave of absence from Duke.
- Full-time officers of research may take leaves of absence according to the policies described below.
- 2 uncountable (permission) [formal] she begged leave to speakpidió la palabrawithout so much as a by your leave [colloquial]
pidió licencia or la venia para hablar [formal]sin ni siquiera pedir permisoExample sentences
- The applicant seeks leave to appeal from a decision of the Full Court of the Federal Court.
- It is against that dismissal that the applicant seeks leave to appeal to this Court.
- I also seek leave to file in Court and read an affidavit sworn today.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.