- 1 (make less heavy) [load/workload] aligerar; [suitcase] quitarle peso a, aligerar (de peso); [debt] reducir*; [responsibility/conscience] descargar* to lighten the tone of a speech darle* un tono menos grave a un discurso beat the mixture well to lighten it bata bien la mezcla para que quede esponjosa
- 3 [literario/literary] [cares] aliviar; [heart] alegrarMore example sentences
More example sentences
- When they had eaten enough, they lightened the ship, throwing out the wheat into the sea.
- The menu has been conceived along American or lightened Continental lines, and despite an occasional, surprising flaw, the food is generally well prepared.
- To make matters worse, Ellen wasn't lightening the homework load one bit.
- But Dad, he seriously needs to lighten up, maybe get a girlfriend or something.
- As usual, there was a large group of rowdy sailors surrounding the table, which actually helped to lighten up the heavy atmosphere.
- I guess they were trying to lighten up the atmosphere… or something like that.
- 1 (become less heavy) [load/weight] hacerse* más ligero or (esp AmL) liviano, aligerarse
- (BrE) [Meteo] aclarar, clarearMore example sentences
- As the sky began to lighten in the east, humans and lizards moved quickly through the trees, wearing earthen colors and staying as low as possible to the ground.
- The sky was beginning to lighten in the east, which meant they were running out of time.
- I could watch the last star fade as the sky lightened and birds began to chatter amongst themselves about the coming day.
lighten upv + adv
- [colloquial/familiar], relajarse
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
La movida madrileña is an expression referring to the Madrid social and cultural scene of the late 1970s and early 1980s, and the people involved in it. It was a youth phenomenon based around night spots in the city, such as the now defunct club Rock-Ola. One of the leading lights of the movida was the movie director Pedro Almodóvar.