- 1 (Agriculture)(land/soil)abonar con calExample sentences
- Soil is limed in some areas to improve barley growth and productivity on acid soils, but this practice is often economically unfeasible.
- The soil was limed by applying 5 • 5 g CaCO 3 kg - 1 soil.
- The rest will become available over time, and many nutrients will also become more available when a soil is limed.
- 2(branch)untar con ligaExample sentences
- A room currently used as a study, but which could also make a third bedroom, also has a cast-iron fireplace as well as built-in presses and limed tongue-and-groove floorboards.
- Beds are set on platforms or suspended from ceilings, bathtubs are hewn from blocks of black granite or pale limestone, and the bare wood floorboards are wide, limed and lacquered.
- The kitchen, to the rear, has limed oak units at ground and eye level, a tiled worktop and splashback.
- 1 countable (fruit)Example sentences
- Surprisingly complex for one so young, delivering flavours of spice, limes, lemons, orange peel and oatmeal, all harmoniously threaded with ripe acidity.
- The citric acid in lemons or limes has a similar effect, although this is not called ‘cooking’.
- Oranges, lemons, limes, mandarins or other citrus fruit from Queensland will be banned from entering any other state or territory, threatening at least $100 million worth of fruit still to be picked in the state.
- 2 countable (tree)Example sentences
- In the same way, every small home in the Caribbean has always kept some vegetables and a fruit tree (usually a lime, but also other citrus).
- In the western zone, oranges, limes, and bananas are cultivated.
- It belongs to the citrus family, Rutaceae, but is not a true lime.
- 3 uncountable (color)verde (masculine) lima(before noun)verde lima invariable adjectiveExample sentences
- Big colours include pink, lime green, bright blues and more sombre chocolate browns and off whites.
- We contemplated lots of different colors before settling on some sort of lime green or apple green.
- Now I have on a bright neon lime green T-shirt and I'm not a small girl, so you can't miss me.
- (British English) (linden)Example sentences
- Since 2000, 32 different species of tree have been planted including oak, ash, small-leaved limes and bird cherry, while a carpet of bluebells and daffodils has also been sown.
- The gardens which surround the property include beech, lime and holm oak trees while in the eastern corner is an ancient churchyard.
- Some willow trees will be lost by the development but trees like hornbeam, lime and birch will remain with preservation orders on them.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Today is Aberri Eguna, Basque national day, and a public holiday in the Basque country of Spain.