Translation of linger in Spanish:
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- 1.1 (delay leaving) quedarse or entretenerse* (un rato) he lingered in the corridor se quedó or se entretuvo un rato en el pasilloExample sentences1.2
- It's best if you can stay and linger in this World Heritage Area.
- We never have a scene linger beyond what is necessary to get the point across.
- As one magical day follows another, the sun seems to linger longer over the yard arm.
linger (on)(remain) [aftertaste/smell] persistir; [tradition] perdurar, sobrevivir his memory lingers on aún se lo recuerda, su recuerdo sigue vivo she lingered (on) in a coma for months su coma se prolongó durante varios meses 1.3(lingering present participle/participio presente)[doubts/memory] persistente, que no desaparece; [embrace/look] prolongado; [illness] largo, prolongadoExample sentences1.4 (take one's time)to linger
- Many bad habits will linger on and many good ones may disappear but at least the pattern will change a bit.
- The odour does linger on the breath; it even comes through the pores of the skin but, if we all ate garlic, it wouldn't matter.
- We see these types of trials linger on for years as a method to win the case.
on/ oversth to linger on a subject detenerse* largo rato en un tema, extenderse* largamente sobre un tema he lingered on the phrase pronunció la frase muy lentamente her eyes lingered on the child no apartaba la vista del niño, se quedó largo rato mirando al niño they lingered over their coffee se entretuvieron tomando el café (after meal) alargaron la sobremesaExample sentences
- Saturday morning is spent lingering over a massive three course breakfast (those tropical fruits make a fine salad, with just a dash of Cointreau to top up our levels).
- Perhaps you know the pub which does the most incredible Sunday lunches and whose staff won't mind if you spend all afternoon lingering over a roast and the papers.
- The evenings were spent lingering over fine wines and cognacs while gymnastic students modelled the latest in Brazilian swimwear.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
The current Spanish Constitution (Constitución Española) was approved in the