Translation of linger in Spanish:
- 1.1 (delay leaving)quedarse or entretenerse (un rato)he lingered in the corridorse quedó or se entretuvo un rato en el pasilloExample sentences1.2 (remain)
(aftertaste/smell)his memory lingers on
- It's best if you can stay and linger in this World Heritage Area.
- We never have a scene linger beyond what is necessary to get the point across.
- As one magical day follows another, the sun seems to linger longer over the yard arm.
persistiraún se lo recuerdashe lingered (on) in a coma for months
su recuerdo sigue vivosu coma se prolongó durante varios mesesExample sentences1.3
also: lingering present participle(doubts/memory)
- Many bad habits will linger on and many good ones may disappear but at least the pattern will change a bit.
- The odour does linger on the breath; it even comes through the pores of the skin but, if we all ate garlic, it wouldn't matter.
- We see these types of trials linger on for years as a method to win the case.
que no desaparece(embrace/look)
prolongadoExample sentences1.4 (take one's time)to linger
- Saturday morning is spent lingering over a massive three course breakfast (those tropical fruits make a fine salad, with just a dash of Cointreau to top up our levels).
- Perhaps you know the pub which does the most incredible Sunday lunches and whose staff won't mind if you spend all afternoon lingering over a roast and the papers.
- The evenings were spent lingering over fine wines and cognacs while gymnastic students modelled the latest in Brazilian swimwear.
on/ oversomethingto linger on a subjectdetenerse largo rato en un temahe lingered on the phrase
extenderse largamente sobre un temapronunció la frase muy lentamenteher eyes lingered on the childno apartaba la vista del niñothey lingered over their coffee
se quedó largo rato mirando al niñose entretuvieron tomando el café(after meal) alargaron la sobremesa
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.